Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrier IV Build

Default Re: Carrier IV Build

I myself would not file any hardware down. Longer bolt, thinner washer, or no washer. Three washers in any combination per fastener is acceptable.
    James T
    Valrico, FL

Default Grove Corrosion

I'm reluctant to post this, because I feel like I already know the answer....but I'm going to see if any of you experienced builders have a recommendation... This kit is 21 years old, so are the gear, but they have never even had the weight of an engine on them.

I took a 7447 maroon Scotchbrite pad to the lower bracket yesterday and some aluminum polish to see how it looks and I'm less than impressed with what I'm seeing. I've read through the 43.13 and see the acceptable methods of corrosion removal but am wondering what others thoughts are from personal experience. Is this set of gear beyond repair saving? Anything I can do to try to save it and ensure that it's airworthy? Thanks in advance..

IMG_6788.JPG
    IMG_6789.jpg
    IMG_6790.jpg
    -David
    Building Classic IV
    https://carrieraero.wordpress.com/

I guess I would wonder about how deep the corrosion goes. That thick of aluminum would be maybe more inclined to bend then break under enough pressure I'm guessing, but it is a guess, so take it with a grain of salt (or 3) I'm down in Gulf Shores for a bit, if you decide you don't want the gear, I'll come and have a look at it and maybe take it off your hands. JImChuk

If it were me I would run that gear with never a second thought. A little alumiprep to clean it up beyond what you did on the sample maybe, but only for looks. The corrosion that would have to exist to be of any real concern on our grove gear would have to be massive.

Fathom,

A little reluctant to make any suggestion pro or con from a photo. Can't tell and don't know if there is any filiform or intergranular corrosion going on from a photo. Also not sure what the gear was coated with...paint? powder coating?.....zits under a coating often go deeper than the surface.

My cautionary comment would be to consult Grove about the condition of the gear - they know their products and have likely seen just about anything you can imagine. - even if that means shipping it to them if they want to look at it. If Grove says OK - then I would trust it. Not a cheap part so worth some investigation IMHO.

Sincerely,
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Fathom, the corrosion in the bearing blocks can be removed by machining. It sounds like it’s reasonably deep and hand linishing won’t do it. That might be outweighed by the cost of buying new - don’t know, but worth checking. Either way, better to be rid of it. The spring leg is another matter. I’d contact Grove as previously suggested and ask them what limits there are on thickness. Machining would be the better option there as well. FWIW.
    David
    SS7 Builder

If it was mine , I would blend a small area on the top surface, to completely remove the corrosion, no deeper than necessary ,then measure it with a depth gage to find how much material was removed . Then consult grove . They should have some allowable damage limits. What ever the outcome you cannot leave the corrosion. Corrosion can look a lot deeper than what it actually is.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Greg79 View Post
    Hello Lowell, I've already been talking with David about his IV and I am picking up a partially built model IV this weekend. Your only a few hours from me. I'm south of Fresno. Some friends were just talking about a strip in the Placerville area. Do you ever come down this way?
    Hello Greg, I recently have the opportunity to buy a fuse for a model 4. I would like to talk to or visit someone who has experience with this model. I live in the Fresno area
    at the Sierra Sky Park. I am new to this forum and would like to get some contact info for anyone near my area that has knowledge or is flying a model 4.

Thank you for your help.

Dale

Welcome to the IV club Dale. So many thoughts going through my mind - all positive. Back in the day after the Skystar bankruptcy a friend and I began making tooling to maybe help the existing fleet with some parts. We made jigs for the wing ribs. I still have the jigs if you think you are inclined to fabricate to save a few $$. Tools needed a table saw and a bench router. Hopefully in the near future, I will be doing more flying - adapting and getting used to a Cochlear Implant - and being in the airpark makes your place a favorable target.
    Lowell
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Welcome to the IV club Dale. So many thoughts going through my mind - all positive. Back in the day after the Skystar bankruptcy a friend and I began making tooling to maybe help the existing fleet with some parts. We made jigs for the wing ribs. I still have the jigs if you think you are inclined to fabricate to save a few $$. Tools needed a table saw and a bench router. Hopefully in the near future, I will be doing more flying - adapting and getting used to a Cochlear Implant - and being in the airpark makes your place a favorable target.
    Lowell
    Hi Lowell, I recently flew into Cameron Park to give some tailwheel instruction. Good luck with that implant, I understand its very successful. Your welcome to stop in at any time.
    Thanks for the offer on the jigs, thats nice to know. I checked out some of your videos, nice road map of the Idaho back country airports!

Dale