Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 912iS wiring

Default Re: 912iS wiring

Update on my issue with the 912iS engine module. Dynon received the module, and was unable to reproduce the issue I was having, they put a new main board in it as a precaution and sent it back to me. Turn around on their end was an impressive 48 hours! I installed it hoping it was going to work, and was disappointed when it did not work. I checked my wiring and couldn’t find any problems with the HIC connections to the EMS wiring harness. I was desperate for an answer, so I decided to check continuity from the HIC to the 37 pin connector at the EMS module. I was surprised to find there were no wires connected to pins 36 and 37 of the wiring harness provided by Dynon. The wires (blue and green) that go to those pins were in 34 and 35 positions. Pins 36 and 37 of the module is where the CAN data is transmitted. I reviewed the installation manual, and it states that pins 36 and 37 may be green and blue, or unwired. Mine were unwired. Okay, I apologize for the long explanation. I’m adding this post to keep future builders from going down the same path.
    Anyway, I powered up the EFIS after moving the two pins, and it’s working now. Next week, Engine start hopefully.

John

Hmmm. Those PIN numbers ring a very loud bell in my head. I believe I had the same situation when I got my harnesses back from the shop who built them. Fortunately I think I caught it during a significant verification effort when all my harnesses were found to (previously) be messed up.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Update on my issue with the 912iS engine module. Dynon received the module, and was unable to reproduce the issue I was having, they put a new main board in it as a precaution and sent it back to me. Turn around on their end was an impressive 48 hours! I installed it hoping it was going to work, and was disappointed when it did not work. I checked my wiring and couldn’t find any problems with the HIC connections to the EMS wiring harness. I was desperate for an answer, so I decided to check continuity from the HIC to the 37 pin connector at the EMS module. I was surprised to find there were no wires connected to pins 36 and 37 of the wiring harness provided by Dynon. The wires (blue and green) that go to those pins were in 34 and 35 positions. Pins 36 and 37 of the module is where the CAN data is transmitted. I reviewed the installation manual, and it states that pins 36 and 37 may be green and blue, or unwired. Mine were unwired. Okay, I apologize for the long explanation. I’m adding this post to keep future builders from going down the same path.
    Anyway, I powered up the EFIS after moving the two pins, and it’s working now. Next week, Engine start hopefully.

John
    So the moral of the story is if you bought a Dynon to go with your 912iS, on the harness, check your 36 and 37 pins for wires (blue and green) and for continuity, before hooking up. Good to know.

Maybe the unwired 36 and 37 pins on the harnesses are for 912 ULS models?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe both of these were ready-made harnesses. If so, were they both from the same company?

My harness was an off the shelf product made by Dynon. It is adaptable to several different engine systems. On one end of the harness is a 37 pin connector that is ready to go with heat shrink and the wire locations are not visible without taking it apart. The other end is loose wires (color coded). I connected my equipment using a color chart, and assumed the pins all had wires connected. My mistake was assuming, and not verifying.
    The harness that Eddie got was custom made in a wiring shop.

John