Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reliability reports on Jabiru 2200 engine? Do they make TBO?

Default Re: Reliability reports on Jabiru 2200 engine? Do they make TBO?

I really hope not to offend any Jabiru operators with my comments about the performance, or to negatively impact the saleability of their plane. That isn't my intent.

I just know after trying to help some guys with Jab Kitfoxes and Avids get their planes to work on floats that the 912 Rotax engine works better on these airframes. Admittedly, I've only once flown a Jab 2200 in an Avid Mark 4 taildragger. Even though it had a nice low empty weight, with two grown men in the cabin it had pretty anemic performance overall (like the 65 hp Cub I learned to fly in...). I believe however it was an early engine, and others told me the later engines make more power. So maybe that one airplane I flew wasn't a fair evaluation?

It is encouraging to hear that some here are getting better performance than what I've experienced. I've always liked the Jabiru engine for how smooth it runs and for how light it is. But because my 80 hp 912 Model 4 Kitfox on amphib floats works so well (even though it is almost 800 lbs empty) I'm pretty convinced you won't do better than a 912 on a Kitfox 4. So that's what I generally promote.

And what was I thinking saying an Avid or Kitfox will fly like a 65 hp Cub or Taylorcraft? Heck the Avid prototype (which was my 1st plane) with a 40 hp 2 stroke Cuyuna performs on par with a Super Cub. So all I can say after thinking about that is...Duh?

Default Re: Reliability reports on Jabiru 2200 engine? Do they make TBO?

I have flown Kitfox's for 21 years powered by 532, 582 , Jabiru 80 HP and 912ULS.
    I had great success with all 4 engines but my style of flying prefers gear box's and long props.
    The Jabiru is a nice to look at machined art work, amazingly smooth and simple ( no gearbox or radiator).

The good news is that model 4 Kitfox's with 80 HP 912's are available in your price range with maybe some left over change to install a big bore kit if you want to go from great to amazing performance