Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips / advice needed for first time buyer interested in buying a used kitfox 5

Default Tips / advice needed for first time buyer interested in buying a used kitfox 5

Hello team kitfox forum members,

My name is Jeff and I’m currently a private pilot student with about 20 hours so far.

I love flying!

Additionally, I am considering continuing on my training and earning my CFI certificate.

Therefore, in order to obtain hours necessary to get my commercial certificate I’m considering in buying a used kit fox five conventional gear with a Rotax I live near Glenwood Springs Colorado and therefore he type of flying that intrigues me the most is more of a back country style with grass, gravel, or desert/BLM hair strips.

I found this low time kit fox five / conventional gear with a 532 for sale.

Basic avionics, no trim, nothing special. A basic build with fabric in good condition.

I know it not the ideal power plant for my higher alltitude. But, it could be a good winter flyer until I can save up for a 912 or maybe Lycoming IO-233-LSA
    Hi a lot today

Basically, I would like advice on the folowing:

What do U think would be a reasonable price for this plane?

What should I look for specifically while inspecting the plane?

What would be the most I should pay for this plane with the future plan in mind to do an engine upgrade?

What would an engine upgrade (average) cost be for 912 (either model) or a IO-233?

Well, that’s a start. I’m sure I’ll have more questions as the thread develops

But basically, just trying to learn from others and make the best economically informed decision possible in getting a fair deal on a tail wheel kitfox 5, 6 or 7.

Thank you for your help in realizing this dream.

Bye for now,

Jeff

Default Re: Tips / advice needed for first time buyer interested in buying a used kitfox 5

IMO, I'd pass on this one. I believe that you will be better off to wait for the properly equipped plane to come along for your needs.

To do an engine conversion is going to be $20k or more depending on what you want to do. This will negate any "good deal" you can find on a plane that isn't to your needs.

Just my opinion...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Tips / advice needed for first time buyer interested in buying a used kitfox 5

If you pass on it, please message me! I’m looking for another project plane like that. I already have a flying one so I can take my time to swap an engine and make it airworthy again.
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Red Flags going off in my head.
    I've never seen or heard of a model 5 with a two stroke 532 in it,
    or no trim.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

When I first read the OP post I thought he meant no trim colors.

I thought the Model 5 came stock with the same stabilizer trim setup as the 6.

I also have never heard of a 5 or greater with a 532.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Hi Jeff,
    I suspect the Model 5 kit you're looking at has a 65 HP 582 engine with it. Yes they sold that combination back in the day, also with 618 two stroke Rotaxes. There were a few flying back then.

Here's my story on buying a Kitfox with a two stroke now and flying it while saving up for a 912 FWF.

I bought a model 4 Kit complete with 503 Rotax in 1994. Started saving and building. I continued to save for a 912 while flying the 52 HP two stroke model 4.

23 years after buying my kitfox kit the price increases in Rotax 912 engines had outpaced my ability to save up to buy one. I was old and it's time to quit flying so I sold my kitfox last year. It still had the Rotax 503 engine in it.

But...I had a lot of fun both building and flying it. My 52 HP Kitfox taught me how to fly, not just push in the throttle and hang on.
    Last edited by t j; 09-17-2018 at 06:51 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thinking about this more, I'd be willing to bet that this plane is in fact not a 5 but a 4, mabe even earlier. This seem far more likely to have a 532 installed in it.

With the popularity of Trent Palmer's videos, there are many people who want a 5 or want to make their 3 into a 5 to sell it for 3x more money.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Thinking about this more, I'd be willing to bet that this plane is in fact not a 5 but a 4, mabe even earlier. This seem far more likely to have a 532 installed in it.

With the popularity of Trent Palmer's videos, there are many people who want a 5 or want to make their 3 into a 5 to sell it for 3x more money.

I think you hit the nail on the head on this.
    Bartman
    Retired USAF
    Kitfox 5
    N617BR

Well it's hard to say for sure what the plane is. But there are some things that could be checked on to give some clues. A 4 or earlier fuselage is 39 1/2" wide at the back top of the seat. I believe the 5 is wider than that, this site says 42.5". Bunch of more info there as well. www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft4/13.htm
    . The 3 and earlier have under cambered wings. 4 and later have more or less flat bottomed ones. A 5 had adjustable rudder pedals, the 4 doesn't. Just some questions you could ask. Also, if you have the N # run it on the FAA website to see what it says there. While the 532 would probably be a very poor choice for a Kitfox 5, there have been all kinds of crazy ideas when people start building airplanes and think they know better than the factory. If the price is right, it could be a good place to start. If you are careful, you can find a descent used 912 100 HP for $10,000 or less. JImChuk

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Post some pictures of it , including the wings and dash.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW