Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic field

Default Re: Magnetic field

I wonder how one would fare by pulling out the cell phone compass if one was needed. At least the phone Navigation could point me the right direction should the compass prove useless.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Magnetism of the airframe occurs mainly during the welding process and the only way you can reduce magnetism in the airframe is to degaus it. Do NOT do this while any sort of compass is installed, including things like the Dynon AHARS units etc.

Interestingly, the aircraft can/will re-magnetise over time due to some fairly innocuous reasons. If you always park in the same direction, if you park in a steel hangar, if you park on a concrete floor with steel reinforcing. I'm not talking about a sudden change and your aircraft attracting all the steel screws you dropped but over time it may be necessary to degaus again, especially if the airframe was particularly bad in the first place.

OK it took me some digging, but I found a place that will rent a tool you can use for demagnitizing large structures. This link takes you to a place that rents contour probes. These are used for NDT, but work as demagnetizers. When I put my IV together the fuselage around the instrument panel was magnetized enough to render my compass useless. I rented one of these and remove enough of the magnetism to make the compass accurate without compensation. They're dead simple to use, but you will demagnetize anything and everything else in the area, so you want to do it before installing any avionics, and better yet without installing the engine charging and ignition system, or any other digital stuff.

I used one of these dirt simple gauss meters to check out the actual fuselage magnetism.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

A question, I guess. When I was first building - 1993 - I installed hard points for a VOR antenna, but in the five years before first flight early GPS units, rather primitive by today's standard, became available and the VOR antenna was never installed. Then, I am trying to remember using the E6B calculator in the Kitfox. I know I did in the 70s when first flying, but it is never in the cockpit today. Charts, yes, but as back-ups only. The thought, how often do I check the compass - probably never. But then my flying has been mostly in the five western states with mountains to give general orientation. Am I doing something wrong?
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

ten years ago when i made the instrument panel , i mounted the compass in the panel and also a ram mount for a gps. the gps blocks the view of the compass so i have never even seen the compass , besides i have no idea how accurate it is since I've never swung it. i usually have two sources of heading info in the cockpit if i need it, the i pad with flyq and the garmin. i really like the chart updates on flyq. the paper chars are relegated to sunshade in the overhead.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

In a steel frame airplane or really any airplane you will want to consider paying the extra for a compass like Sirs that has corrections for coefficients A, B C, and D.

Coefficient:

A: will be a consistent error, and you can just rotate the indicator

B: will fix the front to back magnetism, when you swing your plane on a compass rose it will be an error that is the sine of your local flux lines.

C: Is like B but is caused by athwartship magnetism and will produce an error that is the cosine of the heading.

D: Is typically caused by electronics and will typically be twice the sine of the heading.

E: Is caused by soft iron and will be twice the cosine and shouldn't be an large issue on tube and frame aircraft and I don't think any common aircraft compasses offer this correction anyway but is usually fixed with large iron spheres on ships.

Take your plane to an airport with a good compass calibration pad; turn on all of your gear and have someone help you swing your plane and chart the error you can get way more accurate than most cards will be set even in commercial planes.

You will need to find someone who is good at math to help you out, but the error will approximately model the following. One of these days someone should produce a phone app or web page that will let you play with Fourier transforms to guess the corrections, but by hand rotating the plane with a plumb bobs taped to the nose and tail to line up on the lines you can work them out through brute force.

Deviation ≈ A + B sin θ + C cos θ + D sin 2*θ + E cos 2*θ

If you use a compass with just N-S and E-W adjusters (like most airpath models) you will need to depend on the card. If you spend the extra money on a model with 4 magnet correction abilities or better it will take a bit more effort to set but will be far nicer in the long run (sirs as an example).

I think the cost difference is around $100 so weigh that with the convenience of not needing a card.
    Last edited by nyrikki; 09-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.

I have a Sirs and spent a lot of time tweaking it, and getting it just right, and
    never ever even look at it ... I guess with the number of things that provide
    heading information these days I simply don't use it.

I almost always align DG on runway heading, takeoff and then start using
    GPS track. When I notice a bit of DG drift I more often than not correct it with
    a combination of track, and land line information (roads, etc)

It would be a big effort to degauss the airframe for something that I bet you
    won't use very much ...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Leonardo,

I had a problem like this in our S7 also.

Originally I wanted a vertical card compass, which I could not get corrected to any usable standard at all - older compass and not a very good compensating system.

I ended up visiting With John McBean on the issue - his first advice was to get one of the SIRS compasses - found one at Aircraft Spruce - I guess if they are good enough for Boeing, they might be good enough for a Kitfox. The basis for John's recommendation was that the SIRS has a superior compensating system - unlike my old VC compass. Another feature it has is an adjustable mount so you can make minor adjustments for pitch angle depending on loading.

Second issue - the kitfox airframe indeed has some residual magnetism; however, it is not the same in all parts of the cabin above the glareshield. Some experimenting established that where a compass is normally mounted, in the middle and above the panel, is the devil's triangle of the mother of all magnetic flux, at least on our plane. Also found that minimal interference occurred to the port and to the starboard side just above the corner of the panel. I mounted the SIRS on the port side as shown in the attached photo.

With the SIRS and with the location I was able to get a compensation in all directions less than 1 degree. I am happy with that plus not having to deal with other magnetic voodoo.

BTW - the SIRS comes with a non magnetic plastic key to set the compensation.

Thanks Dave......I got the same compass, still on the box though. After reading all the input on my question sure I'll install it tomorrow.
    Leonardo

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I wonder how one would fare by pulling out the cell phone compass if one was needed. At least the phone Navigation could point me the right direction should the compass prove useless.
    Hello Eddie......I already did that and the cell phone is also sensible inside the cabin. I installed the transponder and radio behind the panel, don't know if that makes any effect or not also doesn't make any difference with those on or off.
    Leonardo

just a note: if you use a glass panel and have the magnetometer in the wing you do not need a panel mounted compass.

you only need a magnetic indicating device.

David Kelm
    A&P.IA,DART,DARF
    7SS 912is Garmin Touch