Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPad Accidentally Dropped from an Airplane!

Default iPad Accidentally Dropped from an Airplane!

Found this on SocialFlight.

https://youtu.be/HJJ0JNwN6gY

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: iPad Accidentally Dropped from an Airplane!

That's crazy. New screen and "it never happened"
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

WOW .... makes a sturdy mount seem cheap compared to the damage it might have caused if it had hit someone or something
    Last edited by Jaster; 08-30-2018 at 01:41 AM.

I would love to get another FlyPad Mount for my iPad Mini but, unfortunately, they've gone out of business. It's not that I don't like the Guardian product (and would happily install it) but it is just too big for where I'd like it to go. I can't even find some old stock to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaster View Post
    WOW .... makes a sturdy mount seem cheap compared to the damage it might have caused if it had hit someone or something
    You're right! That was my video and although embarrassing, this had to be shared so no one else would make the same mistake. The bottom line is there is no excuse for stupidity. I should have had my iPad more secure. I shudder to think what the outcome may have been if if fell out only seconds before. I just passed over an interstate with heavy traffic. I can only hope that someone learns from my mistake.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Paul,
    Thank you VERY MUCH for bringing this up. "Hangar flying" is a fantastic way of increasing our EXPERIENCE. I use an iPad, and greatly appreciate having this brought to my attention.

Again, THANK YOU!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

I would have erased and walked away.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by GWright6970 View Post
    Paul,
    Thank you VERY MUCH for bringing this up. "Hangar flying" is a fantastic way of increasing our EXPERIENCE. I use an iPad, and greatly appreciate having this brought to my attention.

Again, THANK YOU!
    Agreed, and reading back, I hope my initial response wasn't taken the wrong way. Thanks for sharing Paul. As long as we keep learning from our own (and others) mistakes, that's the important part.

Cheers,
    J.

I too use a tablet as a GPS. And since I fly solo except in very rare circumstances, I made a bracket to secure the tablet. It is mounted on the cross tube that runs just forward of and just below the instrument panel. It is adjustable to a degree and is positioned so the tablet screen is about 18" from my face - about where it would be if held in my hand - slightly to the right of midline. I mention this mostly to suggest that there are hard points for mounting other than the panel itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell - First I want to thank you for your contributions to our forum and sharing your experiences and knowledge. And that goes for everyone else on our forum. I studied your picture of your iPad mount on the underside of your panel. Very creative. I'm going to try your version and see how I like it.

These are photos of my current solution and this works for me. After watching Trent's videos, I heard him mention he uses the inexpensive "Smallrig" clamps, so I bought a couple. It's a good bargain and very reliable.

I 3D printed a back plate and mounted it to an inexpensive ($5) iPad mini case and attached the Smallrig clamp. It can be mounted to any cross member tube in the cockpit. I also 3D printed a similar case for my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster