Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame color

Default Frame color

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here on TeamKitfox. I have just ordered a S7SS kit recently and I have noticed that the default color for the frame is white. But I'm wondering if it would be better to ask them to do it in different color if available from practical stand point in flight, i.e. the color reflecting off the windshield and becoming a distraction for example... What color would you recommend? I was thinking black.

Thanks in advance.

-Terry

Default Re: Frame color

I chose flat black powder coat. warning, its like a chalk board. if you rub something on it, like the fiberglass seat pan or the fiberglass over the instrument panel, it leave scuff marks. they come off but I think I will be tending to scuff marks for eternity. I flew Stick and Rudders airplane that has gloss black frame and it certainly didn't bother me, in fact, it was nice to use those two structures as points of reference to the horizon while in a turn. I suppose you should decide if black is going to match your overall color scheme.
    People do seem to comment on the flat black and that they like it.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I chose flat black powder coat. warning, its like a chalk board. if you rub something on it, like the fiberglass seat pan or the fiberglass over the instrument panel, it leave scuff marks. they come off but I think I will be tending to scuff marks for eternity. I flew Stick and Rudders airplane that has gloss black frame and it certainly didn't bother me, in fact, it was nice to use those two structures as points of reference to the horizon while in a turn. I suppose you should decide if black is going to match your overall color scheme.
    People do seem to comment on the flat black and that they like it.
    Eddie
    Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't even thought about flat vs gloss. As far as matching with the eventual exterior paint scheme goes, I've figured so far black would go ok with most colors. I think I am going to send and email to John and Debbie about it too.
    Terry
    ATP, Goldseal CFI/CFII/MEI

SS7
    Portland, OR

If I recall correctly, John will say he likes the flat black as well. He had a glossy black in the factory when I ordered and when he shipped my kit he thought he really liked the flat black as well.
    Eddie

I must recall correctly. Just looked at the Kyle Franklin video and note that the speedster frame is flat black.

My plane is black. I severely wish my frame was black.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Mine is powder coated white. I flew with DF4 in Arizona and his tubes were white also. It was remarkable how much the white reflects back onto the windscreen.
    I will be painting my interior tubes with Rat Rod black epoxy from Eastwood.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I'm really glad I posted this question here. My suspicion about white frame color seems to have been validated somewhat. I just sent John McBean an email asking him about having mine powder coated in black...
    Terry
    ATP, Goldseal CFI/CFII/MEI

SS7
    Portland, OR

I’ve seen guys paint just the cockpit tubing black even though the rest of the airframe was white. That’s not that hard to do as long as you think of it before covering, instrument panel and of course the windshield goes in.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

One good reason for white is that it is the best color for inspecting the frame for cracks or corrosion.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016