Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox 4 left turning tendencies.

Default Re: Kitfox 4 left turning tendencies.

Kitfoxs don't stall! 😁😂

Seriously, you can stall it power on, or power off and I will not drop a wing. Power on the tork and p factor will have you on the right rudder as most any other plane. Power off it stays centered without any effort. Only issue has ever been in light cruise flight. More angle on the tab has pretty much gotten it just fine. I still believe there might be a better location for the trim tab to be more effective though.

I have the same plane with a 912UL. I drift a little left as well and just deal with it. that said, I put a couple degrees of angle on the engine mount with spacers when I first got it. No effect at all. Wast of time and effort. Do the trim tab, check for alignment, eat your veggies.
    Jay

Kinda what I'm thinking. Thanks. I'm going to maybe make a trim tab I can clamp to different places on the back of the rudder to find the sweet spot. I don't want to be drilling holes up and down the rudder for nothing. As far as making changes and finding out whether it likes it or not, I can fly it with or without the trim tab, flip it around, whatever doesn't matter, just would like have it a little better. Lol By that I mean it isn't a problem if I have to hang my leg out the door, I can fly it.

Awhile back I asked about the trim tab and one of the guys on the forum had used double sided sticky tape and a piece of aluminum to attach a trim tab. He said it was still on the plane after 2 years. I need to resurrect that thread and do the trim tab install as well. I"m tired of the drift like you. My right foot gets tired.
    Lets collaborate and find out where the best placement is for the trim tab. I"ll start playing with it in the next couple of days. I just need to be home so I can fly.

It could have been me that said I used a piece of aluminum and double sided automotive trim tape. It is now 5 years and 700 hours and that trim tab is still there with no sign of coming loose.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by THRC12 View Post
    If wind direction doesn't have any effect on your course, then why course correction?
    It sounds like you're getting it sorted, but I wanted to address this just so that nobody else barks up the wrong tree. The wind does affect your course, that is true. But how your airplane flies through stable air has nothing to do with your course.

Assuming a nice, steady, constant wind, your airplane is flying through a moving air mass, and moves right along with it. The airflow around your plane is the same as it would be with zero wind. Your track over the ground will not be the same direction that your nose is pointed, but your track through the air will be (assuming you're coordinated). If you find that your rigging is different depending on your heading, you are subconsciously doing something with the controls that is different.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    It could have been me that said I used a piece of aluminum and double sided automotive trim tape. It is now 5 years and 700 hours and that trim tab is still there with no sign of coming loose.
    Can you resend the pic and if not through the forum, due to technical difficulties, could you send them to my email. jayandpamela@yahoo.com
    Awesome!! Thanks for responding to that thread.

Here is something else to look at. Are your rudder pedals even when the rudder is straight. I had a Kifox 1 that had a little twist in one set of rudder pedals. I would naturally try to keep my feet even, and that was actually giving a slight bit of rudder. Adjusted the cable length, and then all was well. Now the passenger would have had to deal with it if he was doing the flying.... JImChuk

Pedals are good. They originally had never been gusseted and the right side pedal had bent on the cross tube. I removed both assemblies and replaced the right side cross tube with 3/4 .058 tube instead of the thin mess. Gusseted all the pedals with Tig welded gussets instead of the rivet/ epoxy AD. Super strong and they are all even. That was a while ago. Going extra on the trim tab got it to quit yawing so much. I am going to move trim tab down below the stab centerline on the rudder and see if I can get more effect from the airstream. I think where it's at it has dead airflow. Same thing on the wings for down force on the drag cars I build. If the wing is under or before the airflow, you get little to no effect. Teddy