Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: mod IV 1050 weight and balance questions

Default mod IV 1050 weight and balance questions

So I put everything back on to weigh the aircraft. The build manual says to put the level on the bottom of the cabin floor. Hmm. Kinda hard to get there now, so I used the top of the floor. I got my weights, she gained 21lbs, and did the math. I noticed on the original form he used the lower longerons under the seat to level. Hmmm. I also noticed his weights for pilot and passenger were fairy tales. So I did my math with real weight numbers and found I will max out at 1050lbs with about 10 gallon of gas and two people.

I learned to fly in 1982 in my dad's Piper Vagabond. He sold it a couple years later in 1984. He recently had a bad moment in his VW powered Corby and started looking for another Vagabond. He had one deal go south then Googled the old N number. Long story short, he bought the original Pa17 back! I just had to go home to visit. We went up for an hour on Sunday and Monday I was taking off and doing better landings than he could! I got over three hours and 12 take offs and landings. I had not flow this plane in 34 years, or anything in 30 years, and it seemed like I flew last week.

Default Re: mod IV 1050 weight and balance questions

What’s your empty weight?
    My IV 1050 is 582 powered and weighs 525#.
    I’m not a big guy so it’ll be hard to fit anybody into the right seat that would take me up to gross. Still in phase one. I may ballast the seat to see how it performs a bit heavier.

Funny thing about flying. Some days you’re the Louisville Slugger. Others you’re the ball.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Quote Originally Posted by jonstark View Post
    What’s your empty weight?
    My IV 1050 is 582 powered and weighs 525#.
    I’m not a big guy so it’ll be hard to fit anybody into the right seat that would take me up to gross. Still in phase one. I may ballast the seat to see how it performs a bit heavier.

Funny thing about flying. Some days you’re the Louisville Slugger. Others you’re the ball.

Jon
    Mine came out to 594lbs. It has gained 21lbs since built, but I did change to "tundra" tires and changed out the plastic header tank to all aluminum. The builder also changed a few things and never weighed the aircraft again. So who knows. I'm a big guy at 215, so add a standard passenger weight of 170, and you can only load up with 10 gallons of gas before you go over 1050.

But I know you have to get the level correct and that's where I need help. I would think the top of the floor board would be the same as the bottom, but then he stated he used the longeron under the seat?!?!?

I was told by the factory that I could use the two overhead spar carry-thru tubes for leveling the SS7.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Jim, saved me a phone call.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X