Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Serial 1000 N73BH Restoration!

Default Serial 1000 N73BH Restoration!

I recently bought a Kitfox Model III, Serial 1000 un-airworthy. The right wing flaperon hangers broke on take-off and the plane crashed, the pilot was a ATP but there wasn't much he could except cut the engine and give left rudder.
    I will be logging the rebuild process here and on YouTube. If anyone has ANY suggestions or tips for restoring (Most likely the plane won't need to be re-covered) please post them here. Here's a link to my most recent video: https://youtu.be/uGGIx79Jy5I
    Stay tuned! In the next video I'm going to break down the accident, what needs to be done and work on the cowling!

Here is a thread about the flaperon hangers started by a former owner of the plane:http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=77289

Default Re: Serial 1000 N73BH Restoration!

If you're interested, here's my AvidFoxFlyers Thread. There's also a poll on there whether it's a good idea to run the 912uls without a prop or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy01 View Post
    There's also a poll on there whether it's a good idea to run the 912uls without a prop or not.
    Don't !. You'll overspeed the engine real quick ....
    David
    SS7 Builder

You have to be careful not to.

I noted that the Rotax manual specifically states to run it only with prop mounted. I then seen on YouTube someone running theirs without a prop. I'll use a prop as much as I would prefer doing it without. Lot of safety concerns added when spinning a prop. I don't have a real good secure area to do this run up at my town house.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Another thing to remember with the 912 is it has springs on the carbs that will pull it to full throttle. So say your cables are unhooked for what every reason, and you say, I'll just start it at idle, your carbs are actually at full throttle. Or the throttle isn't locked very tight, those springs will want to make it rev up. JImChuk

Thanks for the replies I will definitely be very careful with what ever I do to the engine. Don't forget to check your Flaperon hangers, Here's the NTSB report: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...relim&IType=LA