Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: radio ? again :/

Default radio ? again :/

Ok guys I am sure you are getting tired of my radio question but in my never ending (so it seems) search to get a clear and readable radio and intercom I now have a new issue. I have a yasue handheld radio with a lower end Rugged headset with a flight com portable/ 12v two place intercom. I have had issues with the fuel pump pulsing through the headset when the 12v is hooked up. Simple enough just run off of 9v (not what I want but usable). I have had lots of ambient noise from the original mic on the headset so I switched to a pilot PA-9EHN mic for high noise environments. I have not had the chance to have anyone fly with me so I do not know for sure, but the intercom and voice feedback into the headset is nice and clear. My problem now is my transmission is "readable but very low" according to other traffic. So low that either people are not hearing my radio checks or just not responding. In my research it seems that the mic I bought needs between 8-28volts to operate and from what I understand a handheld will only put out in the neighborhood of 4-5volts between the radio and headset on transmit. The intercom puts out the required volts and therefore works but once the PTT is pushed it relies on the radio to supply the voltage and it may not be pushing the juice at the required voltage. Is there a way to step up the voltage during PTT usage or should I try another lower voltage mic and just eat the $160 for two mics? Any suggestions? I currently have it tied directly into the radio and bypassing the intercom to see if that works any better but not holding my breath. As of yet I have not flown it with the new mic installed and bypassing the intercom.

Default Re: radio ? again :/

Mark,

For sure, you have a novel assemblage of equipment - sometimes that alone taxes a person.

Don't know if this might be a shot in the dark; but might be worth a try since the cost is only a minor amount of sweat equity. 1) When you mentioned that others have a hard time hearing you, and you have changed your microphone - that hints of a possible need to increase the mic gain adjustment - if your radio has an adjustment for mic gain - try increasing it a little & try some radio checks. - it often takes very little adjustment to change the read from "1 by 1" and "5 by 5" ....and you can go to far too - doesn't take much adjustment usually but can often take more than one try to get it perfect. 2) See if you also have an adjustable side tone on your radio. Since you get very clear voice feedback in the cockpit - the side tone adjustment (if there is one) is probably correct, unless you need to change something else - just be aware that changing the mic gain can result in a need to readjust the side tone to avoid noise (or silence.)

Good luck - I have always viewed radio stuff as pure voodoo.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave, unfortunately my handheld has no mic gain ability. am currently researching a way to increase voltage in the headset to the mic. I am out of my element with electronics.

Just got off the phone with Pilot and they said that the intercom provides the voltage for the headset regardless of PTT usage. That said there should not be any need to increase the headset voltage. Not a problem solved but at least I am not making problem where there wasn't one. I have isolated the intercom and with any luck using just the radio will tell me more. Maybe a bad or intercom. ( I have been having issues of pulsing noise of the fuel pump through the 12v side of the intercom that goes away when I run intercom on 9v battery) Not that I want to buy another intercom but maybe the issue, we will see and I will update when I know more

a little update. I had a different headset that I put the same new mic on and after talking with the pilot guy I checked the voltage across the mic and old headset when PTT is used is only pushing 2.5 v and the new headset is pushing 4v when PTT is used. I think that may be the issue. Now back to trying to get more volts to the mic. I think I will talk to the headset mnfr and see if they can help. If anyone knows anything help would be appreciated

You might want to figure out what type of mic you have. There are more than one and they operate differently.

http://www.bas.uk.net/data4.html
    http://www.angelesflying.com/radioguide.html
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I have a pilot PA-9EHN electret mic on both headsets, it is a high noise environment mic. I have not been able to get the plane out of my shop to try the second headset. Seems odd that one headset (rugged) only puts out 2.5 v with PTT and 1.8v solely on intercom and the other headset puts out 4 v on PTT and 3.8 on intercom. If the second headset works ok I may just get a second one like it or use the rugged as a passenger headset if it will communicate with the intercom.