Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KitFoxIV-PE Header tank and large panel

Default KitFoxIV-PE Header tank and large panel

As a newby to a KitfoxIV, it seems that it is not a good idea to fasten the small instrument panel to the PE header tank but I guess it works. Any comments on security of the header tank in this situation?

What do you do if you want to use the large panel? Is the header tank removed or what? Many thanks for your help on our adventure. Thanks. Dave

Default Re: KitFoxIV-PE Header tank and large panel

I've had no problems with it and have never heard of any with either the small or large panel attached to the panel/header tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks Tom. A fine looking panel as well. Cordially, Dave

Of course the small instrument panel is shock mounted to the tank. It works just fine and many KF and Avid flyers with this setup. Personally, I liked the ethanol safe panel and 6 gal. aluminum wing tank combo on my model 3. A lot easier to refuel than wrestling 5gal jugs up a ladder to the wing tanks.

Only downside other than gas in your lap is the plastic tank will eventually discolor with use and age, making it rather unsightly and difficult to see the fuel level. I just made a quick cover that attached to the tank with Velcro strips and added a short LED strip to the underside of the tank that was always on with the ignition. Spruced up the cockpit some and could see the fuel level in the window much better.

If you want a large IP, you would need to remove the panel tank and install new wing tanks plus aluminum header tank behind the seat. Not worth the down/install time and big co$t for most, IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Premix fuel shows up pretty good in the tank but straight unleaded is clear and almost invisible in the tank.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder