Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 406 ELT self test question

Default 406 ELT self test question

I just installed an ACK E-04 ELT. A nice feature is it performs a self test each time the main switch is moved from Off to Armed.

The self test transmits on 121.5MHz for one second (3 audio sweeps) then transmits a 406 burst for 550ms (about 1/2 a second), the audio alert indicator beeps once, the remote light on the panel flashes once or twice, then returns to the Armed mode.

The self test can also be activated by pressing the Reset/Test button on the remote.

The installation manual instructs to perform the self test after installation and once every three months but there is no mention to do it during the first five minutes of the hour only.

It instructs to perform a G switch test after installation and once a year. This activates the ELT to operate as it would in a crash. It transmits on 121.5 for approximately 50 seconds before a 406 burst is sent to the satellites.

The manual says the G switch test should only be performed between the hour and 5 minutes after the hour and it is imperative that you do not allow allow an activated ELT to transmit for more than 30 seconds during G switch testing which means no 406 burst is sent.

I turn the ELT off when I load the plane on the trailer and Arm it...which will automatically conduct the short self test...during my preflight.

Finally here's my question. Anyone have any thoughts about the short self test when arming the ELT happening outside the first five minutes of the hour as per FCC requirements for testing ELTs?

For what its worth, before I installed the ELT I registered it so they know how to contact me. I performed the self test a few times outside the first five minutes and didn't get a call from ATC or search and rescue, so am assuming its okay to do so.
    Last edited by t j; 04-18-2016 at 06:56 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Default Re: 406 ELT self test question

My question has been answered. I called ACK technologies this morning and asked. He said it doesn't matter when you do the self test. It is a short burst that the satellites know is a self test.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for asking and getting the answer to this question Tom.
    Good info.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Here's a comforting thought:

The local fire chief, a friend of mine, told me they get so many false alarms, they ignore ELT transmissions until a loved one calls in an overdue flight.

whaaaat?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    Here's a comforting thought:

The local fire chief, a friend of mine, told me they get so many false alarms, they ignore ELT transmissions until a loved one calls in an overdue flight.

whaaaat?
    Another good reason to get a 406 Mhz unit - it will not be ignored. Also, the mechanisms that activate them have also been improved over the older 121.5 units, supposedly resulting in less chance of being triggered inadvertantly.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Tim, Does your fire chief friend get paid by the number of responses he makes, or by the number of hours he is on duty. If he is on duty, he should be responding - period.

Dick B