Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: VFR panel ideas ??

Default Re: VFR panel ideas ??

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    When I was setting my plan, the GRT was in the running. To do their flight and engine instrument, it required the installation of their EIS box as well as the flight instrument box. I asked the rep at OSH if both were needed, because the flight box also displays the engine info, I was told yes. The EIS box drives the other box.

I was told I could just bury the EIS box behind the panel and not display it. I didn't like that idea for the room it took as well as the wiring complexity. Not to mention buying an EIS box, then hiding it.

The Dynon was all in one box and seemed easier to install/wire.
    The GRT SX has builtin AHRS, Magnetometer and GPS, the only other box is the engine monitor. The engine monitor (EIS) has a small screen which can be panel mounted or hidden and is interfaced with the EFIS. All this for about $4000 with a 8.4" EFIS, that includes wiring and 4 cyl probes.
    What Dynon do you have? When I've looked at Dynon it says I need a Magnetometer, engine monior and a AHRS.........sounds like I'm not looking at the right thing.

The MGL iEFIS Lite has a built in AHARS, so that's one box removed.

You need a box (RDAC CAN) to wire up your various engine inputs and then that info gets transmitted to the EFIS display by a couple of twisted wires (CAN bus). There's no need to have a separate EIS because it's on the EFIS screen.

It's up to you whether you need or want to install a magnetometer (SP6). In the Kitfox this doesn't seem to be a problem because you have the removable wingtip fairings and that seems to be an excellent place to mount the SP6. For a Eurofox (my aircraft choice) it's much more of a pain in the butt because the wing is really the only place for it to go because of the steel in the frame and the fairings are not removable. This may create problems for me in the future for access but with the KF you are laughing. Of course, if you don't need a magnetic compass on your EFIS and aren't bothered about having a wind arrow then you don't need the magnetometer at all.....just fly on the GPS track line, like we do 99% of the time anyway.

As I said on the other thread, you can remote mount both the Trig radio and transponder and control them through your MGL EFIS, so get a really clean panel

I have the Dynon FlightDEK D180. Link

I bought mine from at OSH from one of the "coast" avionics shops as a package with sensors and a remote magnetometer (I put in the wing tip). IIRC, the cost was less than $4k. Total panel investment on the rebuild was about $7.5k for the Dynon, iCom A210, Garmin 327, harnesses, breaker switches, antennas and other hardware.

Dynon.jpg
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 11-03-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Left foot unserviceable eh

The Dynon Skyview EFIS uses separate engine monitor box, ADHRS box (includes magnetometer), and optional back-up battery (highly recommended).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

This may not be 100% practical but as an exercise I mocked this up to see how minimal a VFR glass panel could be. I envision an upholstered panel sloping to the base of the windshield and using all remote mounted Garmin boxes driving one GX3. Thinking out of the box so to speak. I'm not a builder (at least not yet).

I like it and love clean panels BUT

(a)Get rid of the silly bottle holder
    (b)You don't need a separate AoA indicator; that'll be on the EFIS
    (c)Why (nowadays) have a separate avionics switch? If you don't trust the resilience of modern electronics to handle the start up voltage 'spikes' (which they do) then put something like a TCW IPS behind the panel.
    (d)Nav/Strobes and Landing/Wig Wags could be combined into 2 x 3 position switches

I wish I didn't have to have backup ASI, altimeter and compass or else your design would almost be my Nirvana

Very Nice! What did you design that with? I've been dreaming up similar things as well. But I'm thinking the entire thing in carbon fiber.

Are those USB ports on each bottom corner? Nice.

I'd remove the key ignition myself and just use switches (but i'm thinking 912is).

I'm also thinking for myself either a second screen or ipad mount, sliding that main display over to the left.

Also, personally, I'm thinking of adding built in camera mount locations using standard size screw in type adapters. This would allow things like using it for phone mount or ipad arm or camera.

Good job! I too am interested the software you used for this?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    I like it and love clean panels BUT

(a)Get rid of the silly bottle holder
    Don’t like cup holders? Coffee makes planes fly in my neck of the woods.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3