Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time and Cost to Build

Default Re: Time and Cost to Build

I brought my kit home on the 7th of June. I started on the horizontal stab and elevator first (installing ribs...).

Fuselage started about three weeks later.

As of today, both wings are covered and I am rib lacing the second wing this evening.

My build log shows just over 230 hours, but does not include any research or reading time. If I wasn’t applying adhesive, installing hardware, or trimming, grinding.... I didn’t count it.

Knowing what I know now, I think I could get to where I am now in 2 to 3 months. There were days I could have been working but was waiting for a reply from Kitfox or here on this forum. I wish I knew someone close by who was building a plane because I know I could help get it done much faster.

My work isn’t Oshkosh, but it isn’t sloppy either. I had another builder come up and look at my work to get another set of eyes on my kit to QC it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I can understand that feeling, but you are still a pretty young guy... I was quite a bit older than you when I started my Kitfox, and I test flew it this year at the age of 69.
    That's fantastic! I like the idea of being able to get On The Air with my ham radio, and get In The Air, with my own plane. Life is Short, want to get some living in, soon, in the air.

You guys talking about building/flying and your age are making me wonder about my sanity! I'll be 71 when I take delivery of my kit next summer. Guess I better hustle when I get it!
    Bill Rathbun
    Franktown, CO
    RV10 built and sold
    Kitfox SS on order

Quote Originally Posted by Fdxflier View Post
    You guys talking about building/flying and your age are making me wonder about my sanity! I'll be 71 when I take delivery of my kit next summer. Guess I better hustle when I get it!
    I can still do the Hustle.... on the dance floor. it's a bit tougher with a Kitfox, some sort of sardine can factor getting in and out, me being a slightly larger guy. I'm no NBA star, but I'm not short or little, either. i guess it all just depends... liking good microbrew IPA's and not mountain biking as much isn't helping...

Bill,
    I’ll bet you’ll do just fine. When you get it done, I’ll come down and meet you, we’ll go find a senior center and play a little bingo together, then we’ll go fly our Kitfoxes.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John,
    Sounds like a plan.
    Bill Rathbun
    Franktown, CO
    RV10 built and sold
    Kitfox SS on order

Bill
    I understand your appreciation about starting a build at this point in your life, but you won’t be one of those people saying “I wish I had done that “. You will be out having fun flying and fun is what keeps you young.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

I started my kit at 67, finished it at 69, and have now been flying it for 5+ years. Best thing I ever did, and I truly believe it has not only enhanced my life but has kept me younger and healthier. The mental exercise in flying keeps the senility at bay. I believe there is nothing you can do that is better for your health, other than maybe some physical exercise, although you get some of that in building these kits.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I started mine at the age of 72 and did it's first flight when I was 78. It is an enjoyable experience.

Bill, I was 69 when I started my build - I'd been thinking of building an airplane for 25+ years. I know if I'd built something earlier it probably would have been an RV of some description. I'm glad I waited the extra years and chose the KF. I'll be finished - hopefully - in about 4 months, so I'll be test flying just before I'm 72. Make dreams happen and you won't be wondering "what if ...". Also, as an added incentive, I know of guys flying well into their 80's. That's in my plan to ....
    David
    SS7 Builder