Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butt Rib question

Default Butt Rib question

I'm fitting the butt ribs on the 7SS
    Is it normal to have such a tight fit and have to cut the butt fit brackets to make it work? Also the aft end of the rib covers 1/2 of the wing mounting bolt? Seam abnormal compared to other photos I've seen online
    The #1 rib is set 35 1/2 " from #3 rib center to center and all ribs of the quick build wing are in the proper location. I see some people are reversing the rib to the other side with the bigger lop facing inward, is this working ok? Any regrets
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Butt Rib question

Another pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

When building my SS7 I found it best to - Swap the ribs from side to side, this will give more edge distance on the overhead glass when installing (less chance of breakout), screws and nuts to the inside. It is normal to have to trim the tail of the butt rib to clear the aft bolt.

Dick B

I agree with Dick.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

It sure fits better that way

I also did the same.

Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

So all of you that have reversed the ribs have had no problem or regrets after installing the ribs opposite of the manual.

None.

Dick B

I have to agree here. I have built two Model IVs and just checked the manual. The butt rib is installed with the capstrip extension inboard. The only issue that may come up from that is if you use screws to install the windshield/skylight. It will made a bit more challeging tightening the nuts. I used nutplates for this reason.

I suspect the instructions to put the capstrip extension outboard is a misprint that somehow crept into the new manual. Or possibly an alteration of the original instructions to facilitate the subsequent installation of the windshield without then modifying the dimensions of the mounting parts.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I actually installed the butt ribs with cap extension outboard, as stated in the manual. I have had no trouble with this but care is needed because the skylight screw holes are quite close to the edge. To help this situation I trimmed the skylight plexiglass out beyond the edge of the butt rib capstrip by about 3/16" so the plexi overlaps the gap between butt rib and wing rib #1. This all worked out fine, but if I were to do it over again I would reverse the butt rib cap extension to the inside like many of you are doing.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS