Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kitfox classic 4 speedster tail problem

Default Re: kitfox classic 4 speedster tail problem

Yes, as long as you could keep it straight.

Maybe thread a new bushing onto an "all thread rod" and then thread the "all thread rod" into the existing bushing to align the new extension piece. Then use a sleeve over the old bushing to the new bushing for the actual welding so you are not welding the "all thread rod" in place. The "all thread rod" would just keep everything perfectly straight for the weld between the sleeve and the old and new bushings.

hi guys, the utube video is great help to see the problem. for what ever reason the threaded post is to short, but being where it is I would not bandade the repair.
    I would drill out the stub and fab another and clean the area around the hole and weld in the new one. use the rudder with the rod end screwed in the new post to get the alinement right then tack weld the post and disassembal the rudder from the frame to make a good weld on both sides.
    it not as big a job as it looks like and is well worth the peace of mind even if you had to get a welder to come to you. Make sure you use 4160 aircraft grade welding wire. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
    hi guys, the utube video is great help to see the problem. for what ever reason the threaded post is to short, but being where it is I would not bandade the repair.
    I would drill out the stub and fab another and clean the area around the hole and weld in the new one. use the rudder with the rod end screwed in the new post to get the alinement right then tack weld the post and disassembal the rudder from the frame to make a good weld on both sides.
    it not as big a job as it looks like and is well worth the peace of mind even if you had to get a welder to come to you. Make sure you use 4160 aircraft grade welding wire. hope this helps.
    Ya this help...but...i know this is the perfect repair..for doing that i need disassembal the fairing before make the job...and after that my rudder stop dosen't work( look the video)... So i need to make some work on that to...
    I just look for maybe a simple solution...

I have a classic fuse but couldn't find a picture on my project that shows the bottom hinge well; this is the closest I have. Have to agree, looks like the tubes are missing or were just cut off. On the bottom the tube is normally pretty long.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Building a KF IV Classic

Thank's napierm for the pic.....

And one thing....i dont think the bushing were cutting because the rudder stop work with short one...

Quote Originally Posted by Jfquebec View Post
    And one thing....i dont think the bushing were cutting because the rudder stop work with short one...
    The rudder stop is an easy fix. It is not too uncommon that a builder files too much off. When I was building almost 20 years ago the factory recommended riviting .040 inch thick 4130 plate on top of the too short stop as the fix for that.

I agree with Jamesmil that you need to make the proper repair by welding in new bushings.

The fairing will pop off easier than you may think.

if someone with and uncovered Classic IV tail could take picture with measurements for you a welder would have no problem fixing it. If you can't find on to get the measurements off the Kitfox factory I'm sure will get you that information.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Considering you have already bonded the fiber glass fairing in place, another solution would be to use a female threaded rod end bearing and use the threaded portion of a socket head cap screw (very strong material) cut to whatever length you need. Strong Loctite on threads of rod end bearing and jamb nut on vertical stabillizer end of threads.
    Last edited by mr bill; 04-23-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: add loctite

My project is a model 4 speedster. Fiberglass fairing is in place. Going from top to bottom the dimensions are 1/4", 5/8", and 7/8" exposed bushing. My rudder is not installed yet so if you need photos I can get them. This airplane is formerly N91KS which was the factory demonstrator during the skystar days.

To get those bushing to line up just right is going to take a jig. They have to end at the right place in x, y, and z. Any welding will make them crawl around more than you would expect.

Just saying....
    Building a KF IV Classic