Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Strobes/ Nav Lights

Default Re: LED Strobes/ Nav Lights

I didn't realize that the wiring is routed through the rear spar, but in thinking about it, that makes sense, since the rear spars are the pivot points for the folding wings.
    Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. I'll hold off on purchasing the lighting.

The best thing is to come by our booth at Oshkosh and see our products. There is a lot of engineering that goes into making an all LED position/strobe light that actually meets the TSO requirements for light output and DO-160 test requirements. Our products are rugged and high quality and will last a long time without any maintenance. We have submitted our TSO applications to the FAA for the Suntail and Pulsar NS series lights and are hoping to have them approved by August.

We will be having some show specials and a "scratch and dent" sale, so if you are price sensitive, you might find a deal that is to your liking. Also, a pair of our LED nav/strobe lights is less than the cost of a Xenon/Halogen set of traditional Whelen lights by the time you include the strobe power supply.

I have measured a light from one of our competitors that claims it meets the TSO light output (all over their fancy box and glossy instruction sheet), but found that it did not. The forward candela intensity requirement for red and green position lights is a minimum of 40 candela, but the particular units I measured were only around 10 candela. The AeroLEDs Pulsar NS series are up around 100 candela in the forward direction so they are well above the minimum requirement.

Dean Wilkinson
    CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    I would like to hear from others what they have found for Nav Lights and strobes. I developed a beacon for the top of my vertical stab which should work well.
    Dan,

What did you make your beacon out of? Descrete led's?
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Pete, Sorry I can't find the vendor URL.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

I bought my kit in '97 and I am hopefully about to get it done. At the time I bought the Whelen wingtip lights and strobes. The NAV lights alone used about 6 amps. I just recently replaced all the NAV bulbs with plug compatible LEDs and that dropped to less than 1 amp! My original power budget had no slack when flying at night without the landing light. Now I am in great shape. I have an overhead unit with map lights that I have also converted to LEDs. My post lights are still incandescent but their wattage is low and they are connected to a variable voltage dimmer so LED's won't work there.

Soon I'll be looking for some sort of LED landing/taxi light that will work in the nose of my IV. If any of you have any suggestions . . I'm listening. Also any suggestions on a good place to mount it in an aircraft with the bump cowl and air scoop?

henrysamson- check out our website sponsors AeroLed's site.

Great products and really super people to deal with. I have their Sunlite's in my model 4 wing tips. Click on video of my model 4 with AeroLed's installed and operating - http://youtu.be/2pJKs8X5ag0
    Love the wig wag feature and they use so much less power than the 55 watt halogen's I removed to install the AeroLed's. Their microsun's would be a great choice too.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Henry,

Your best options are the Sunray Plus (currently available):

Which puts out a very tight beam at 30,000 peak candela on 10 Watts of power.

Or our new Sunbeam which puts out a very tight beam at 60,000 peak candela on 25 Watts of power (equivalent to two Sun Ray Plus units in a single light).

The Sunbeam will be available very soon, and measures 4" by 2.75" by 1.4" deep.

Dean Wilkinson
    AeroLEDs LLC

Quote Originally Posted by henrysamson View Post
    I bought my kit in '97 and I am hopefully about to get it done. At the time I bought the Whelen wingtip lights and strobes. The NAV lights alone used about 6 amps.

Here is a sneak peak at the Sunbeam:

I'm still looking for led lights small enough to fit in my airscoop. I found these on ebay and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400252975296...ht_6885wt_1042
    Last edited by henrysamson; 05-03-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Taxi lights? maybe, but with a 60 deg viewing angle and relatively low output power they'd definitely be out of the running as landing lights.

-- Paul S