Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: i fly gps

Default Re: i fly gps

George,

when I talked to Eddie and he said he flew with you and see your Ifly or you were getting an Ifly,..he asked me if I had one too,..so he bought a 720 and has it in his model 4 now
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

my daughters plane with an Ifly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I have the 700. I like it overall, but also found it a bit challenging to read at times. I had it mounted on the suction mount. I decided to see if I could get the screen a bit closer so made a sliding extension mount that mounts to the cross tube under the instrument panel. I rarely take a passenger so its location is fine, but can be easily removed for local passenger flights.

This shows the GPS in its typical location. It still has the gimbal mount so angling the face is still possible.

GPS 1.jpg

This shows the mount. The thumb screw under the panel allows for complete removal and the one to the left allows the telescoping support tube to be lengthened or shortened as needed. A short cord plugs into a 12V jack on the panel.

GPS 2.jpg
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

looks good lowell
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I too have a problem seeing the ifly in sunlight, even though they claim it's sunlight readable. I switched it over to the vector map mode and it's much easier to see and use. It seems like the sectional map mode has just the right colors to get washed out in the sun. I usually use my iPhone or iPad on a swivel to adjust for glare as my primary gps and have the ifly going just in case.

one of the guys based at my airport has the 720 ifly,..you can read that in direct sunlight,..we tried it right out in front of the hanger not inside of a plane ,..works good
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I hade the first generation I fly, loved it but would completely wash out in sunlight, sold it and bought the 720 at Oshkosh in 2012. It is much better but still not 100% readable in some sunlight. It just depaneds on the angle the light is reflecting thru the cockpit glass. I bought their wrap around shield and that has helped a bit. It they could get the clearity of a Dyna screen they would capture the market.
    Jim

Is anyone using the IFly App on an IPad?

Skot

I use the iPad & ForeFlight all the time...works well for me below 10K. No experience with the IFly yet. We also have a Stratus GPS receiver (internal battery powered) that links to the iPad via WiFi and is a great tool when flying above 10K and no 3G service is available.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Interesting discussion and helpful to me. As mentioned I have the 700 and essentially watched as Adventure Pilot announced their trade in credit for the 720 upagrade. At the time I had become acquainted with a new neighbor flying a Light Squared who loved his IPad and ForeFlght. It seemed that for about the same money I could go there. Which I likely will do at some point. We'll see.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel