Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: radio problems

Default Re: radio problems

Perhaps the body of the pilot jacks are not insulated from their mounting holes. The insulating washers shoulder must not be thicker than the material the jacks are mounted in. Some washer sets come with one washer with a shoulder and one without for use in thin material while others come with both having shoulders. The sets having two with shoulders are used in thicker mounting material where the shoulders will not tough each other, but will keep the jack from rocking in the hole and
    shorting to the mounting plate. However, in the event the jacks are mounted in non conductive material none of this matters.

Patrick,

Since the noise is there all the time when the radio is running, I think you can rule out the Mic gain adjustment for now. Not likely a sidetone adjustment issue either.

I'd agree with Jiott that the squelch is a possibility. What you have for manual adjustment depends on the radio - many have automatic squelch plus some have a manual adjustment on the case which can be found after pulling the radio from the stack - it is a delicate little device (usually a small phillips screw adjusted potentiometer) so a person has to likewise be deliacte in adjusting it. Good idea to discuss the issue with your AS tech guy when you can get in contact with him.

Sincerely,

Dave S

It sounds to me like it's either a ground loop issue or an unconnected shield (both ends ungrounded instead of just one). Can you try unmounting the jack from the panel and plugging in the mic connector the the floating jack? Also, you should be able the measure a very low shield resistance to ground with a meter to try to eliminate the unconnected shield possibility.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    It sounds to me like it's either a ground loop issue or an unconnected shield (both ends ungrounded instead of just one). Can you try unmounting the jack from the panel and plugging in the mic connector the the floating jack? Also, you should be able the measure a very low shield resistance to ground with a meter to try to eliminate the unconnected shield possibility.
    I floated the jacks with no luck ! Aircraft spruce is working with garmin to swap radios to see if that helps!

I don't know the radio your using, but mine has a 4 place setting or 2 place setting and a left mic main or right side main, if I set it on 4 place it isn't a clean connection
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Hello everyone!, just to let everyone know what's happening with my radio noise! I should be getting my new replacement Garmin gtr 200, with wiring harness tomorrow! I'll try one at a time to see if it helps , I'll keep everyone up to date! I've been missing out on some nice nights to go flying!

Patrick series 6, Phase I testing

Smile Re: radio problems

Quote Originally Posted by phintz View Post
    Hello everyone!, just to let everyone know what's happening with my radio noise! I should be getting my new replacement Garmin gtr 200, with wiring harness tomorrow! I'll try one at a time to see if it helps , I'll keep everyone up to date! I've been missing out on some nice nights to go flying!

Patrick series 6, Phase I testing
    I received my new Garmin GTR 200 and wiring harness today! I installed the new radio and I have NO static at all , and the Jacks are all the way plugged in!! I ran the engine up to 3000, and again NO static!! Will need a final test flight to make me a true believer but I'm leaning that way! Thanks to all who had input on my problem!

Patrick