Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked windshield

Default Re: Cracked windshield

I e-mailed LP about my windshield cracking, explained how it happened, didn't ask for anything except advise on repairs. That was on July 12 and as of the 17th I have had no response. I'm a little disapointed that they didn't answer a simple question from a customer. I'll let ya'll know if I do hear from them but I don't expect to after this long. Thanks, James Thomas

My first Kitfox was supplied with 1/8" Lexan for the windscreen. 1/8" is quite thick and won't cave in at speed (+110mph) Earlier models were supplied with 0.93" and this would. Only problem I found with Lexan is that it tends to crack near the Butt rib curve after time and also, if you spill gas onto it on a hot day it instantly crazes. I have replaced a few over the years because of this. A 4ft x 8ft sheet of lexan will actually make two complete windscreens if you plan out the sheet. On my latest fox I installed the LP Aero windscreen and I love it so far.

Gary Algate (Classic 4 Jab2200)

Unfortunately when I spilled gas on mine the lexan actually cracked (looked like a shattered windscreen) and had to be replaced. Funny thing was that it only cracked if it happened in the middle of summer, never in cooler months. (I lived in N.Ontario at the time)

Gary

This makes sense. On my first plane I had the 582 and had a filler on my panel tank as well as the wing. It was when filling the panel tank that I managed to splash the windscreen. I became reaaly good at changing windscreens and on one occasion, cut and fitted one in less than 2 hrs. (we had a funfly that day).

Anyway after the third one I removed the filler spout on the panel tank and only filled thru the wing.

I was really popular among the Kitfox group around Sudbury as my windscreen fitting talent was often called upon!

Gary

I always used a Jig saw with a fine metal blade. After marking out the pattern (using old windscreen) I would then stick masking tape each side of the line to prevent the motion of the jigsaw plate from marking the lexan. It cuts like butter and I have never had a problem.

Always do this in a reasonably warm environment (sunny day or heated garage). I have seen lexan crack when cutting on a really cold day.

Re Riveting - yes no problem just make sure you use soft Aluminum rivets (Hard rivets pull too much and will crack the lexan) and overdrill the rivet holes in the lexan by at least 1/3rd to allow for expansion.

Sand all edges to remove sharp edges and stress points.

The plastic shop from which I bought my 4x8 piece of Lexan for my model 3 also stocked and sold me a saber saw blade specifically for thin plastic.

Question? Can anyone tell me how to repair, install a new windshield that has a 3 inch chunk out of the left corner? Thanks, Dave

Dave,
    Is the piece out of the front or rear? I had a 1 1/2" piece break off near the front corner and repaired it with super glue gel. It (fortunately) is consealed behind the boot cowl but it is still holding after 150 hours. Does your broken piece have a screw hole in it? That might help support a glue bond.
    Good luck,
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Mark, The piece is the corner above the pilots head. It measures 5 inches into the top edge and 3 inches down the side edge, with a shallow arc between the two points. The guy I bought it from said he had been told it was still a usable windshield, but I have my doubts. I just got the fuselage and have not had time to look into the coverage of the windshield once installed. Thanks, Dave

Hey Guys,

i'm Marc from Germany.
    Since i'm not in the states, getting spare parts is pretty expensive.

My Windscreen on my 4 Spaeedster just crackes and i'm afraid I can't glue it.
    It was a Tinted acrylic one.

Some questions:
    What company is LP that is reffered to at some places in the thread.

How can I manufacture a lexan one, can I bend and form it without heat?

Is there an alternative for the preformed one from Skystar ??

Thamx for the help,

Marc