Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked windshield

Default Cracked windshield

I'm sick. I recently ordered an acrylic windshield from LP. I took every precaution to read the material and handle it gently. I set it in place today, lined it up with the cowling an used some plastic clamps to hold everything in place. It was slightly over square, when it was right with the cowling it was a little foward at the top. I pressed it lightly to line it up the top and heard a pop. A crack had appeared at the front wing spar attach point. What a sick feeling. I drilled a small hole at the end of the crack but the damage is done. Has anyone tried glueing or repairing anything like this? At $520 I don't dare buy another one and possibly have the same again. I still have a sheet of lexan that came with the kit? Maybe my misfortune will forewarn someone else. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Cracked windshield

Definitely a painful event. May I suggest you locate a plastics shop. There are many who fabricate display items like racks and such for retailers. They use acrylic and the appropriate cement daily. They know about capillary action and the best glue

I closed my hangar door on my windscreen and bought a lexan sheet but have not used it yet. A 4x8 sheet will make two windscreens. I will probably need to do it twice. best of luck to you

Have the exact same crack in mine. Talked to a local plastic shop here and the told me to use this stuff http://www.ridoutplastics.com/ips4.html
    It's water thin and a little slower drying. They told me to get a syringe with fine point needle. I drilled stop hole just as you did and carefully applied the weld-on #4 from the hole and the edge side of the crack. It wicked all the way up the crack very nicely. I was told it will get harder over a long period of time so I did it a few months ago and will hopefuly be installing it by the end of the summer. It seems by playing with it that it's done a pretty good job, so as long as I can get it on without recracking it it should suffice. most of the crack will be under the aluminum spar cuff. So we'll see....

Chris

Thanks to all of you who responded. I just called and ordered the Weld-On #4 and talked to them.They were very helpful and said this is what I need. Your advice was a life saver. I'll let ya'll know how it works out. Thanks again. James Thomas

the more I hear about the acrylic windshield cracking the more I'm thinking lexan,..lexan now makes an X10 brand that is superior in they claim it is resilient moreso to scratching,..1/4" thich lexan can be worked with heat,..once a blank was cut out for the windshield attach it where you can with little effort..the areas that take some pressure to form it ..a heat gun can be used.

with any plastics..acrylic ..lexan ..etc..before trying to manipulate it to install it ..take some real fine sand paper and completely sand the edges to remove any burrs ..or sharp edges..if it's going to crack ..it will be where there is a nick or blemish of some sort on the edge,..lexan being the less likely to crack.

yeah it does seem thick ..how thick is the acrylic winshield?..I know that some have reported the .093 thick lexan caves in at speed,..the .125 probably would too,..not sure if they make a .1875 or 3/16's I know they make 1/4" .250,..I have not used the X-10 version of lexan yet,..but I have used regular ole lexan on my race car and my planes,..it's pretty maneuverable ..but it has a memory..so heat must be used ,.since there are no 90 degree bends in the application I think it could be manipulated for the purpose ,..I have rolled up a sheet of 1/4" lexan to about a 6"R and taped it for storage,..the compound bends would be the toughest ..

how much does an acrylic windshield weigh and what is it's thickness??

Hey airhawg, .125 thickness as best as I can measure. It still has the protective coating. I e-mailed LP but no response yet. I explained how it happened, didn't blame anyone but just for their advise. I still don't think it should have cracked but I know once I take delivery it's my baby. I'll keep ya'll posted.

I did the exact same thing when fitting the windsheild on my 5. I lined it up on the top at the ribs and pulled the bottom forward slightly to match up at the cowl. CRACK! I ordered a new windsheild from LP. They gave me a good discount from the stated prices. Told me to match at the cowl and the top is what it is. As a result I cannot use the standard cuffs and will eventually have to make fiberglas ones. But I don't want to take the time now. Having too much fun flying. The second windsheild has worked fine, no cracks for two years. Live and learn. ($$$)
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

I just sent an inquiry to a lexan dealer,..asking him if he would do a rolling order in bulk,..basically giving him an approximate number of orders but not at one time and with different shipping addresses,..I have delt with this vendor for about 3 years..he is pretty good to deal with ,..my inquisition was concerning 3/16" lexan.
    I'll post his answer,..might be able to save a few bucks,..he will do up to 5 cuts on 1 - 4'x8' sheet for free,..rect. or sq.
    I know he is going to ask dimensions ..I can't remember what mine were on the model 2 ,..anyone have a lexan winshield handy for dimensions?

Chase

got a response

..quote"Yes I can supply 3/16" lexan 4' x 8' sheets
    will need to ship truck line. will need a business address with a loading dock for ship quote. or ship to a local ups freight dock and you pick up there.
    cost per sheet $192.00 per sheet"end quote

you can find this vendor on E bay under "popdisplays" he carry's all kinds of plastics lexan,..tools for working with it and adhesives,..like I mentioned I have done business with him for 3 years or so ..he is legit.

Chase