Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oshkosh

Default Re: Oshkosh

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I filled out a tag after I called the FBO, I got a tag from the truck driver. Where do you get them prior to the truck driving by?
    I don't know, Paul. I've always gotten them from the truck driver. I suppose they are also available at the fuel supplier booths.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I filled out a tag after I called the FBO, I got a tag from the truck driver. Where do you get them prior to the truck driving by?
    There are a couple fuel "tents" where you can arrange fueling. I think there is one in the north 40 not far from the warbirds and another by the classic parking area. There may be more. When you go to the departure booth to arrange your departure you can get info there, too.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

There are also golf carts roaming around with the tags, I think. I also like to fill my own, however.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    You always have to fill out a tag, but I have always gotten one from the fuel truck driver, filled it out then, and then filled my own tanks. I just keep my eyes open for the truck when I'm around the airplane, and then flag him down. It's usually very easy during the couple of days before the show actually starts. I then go over to one of their booths & pay sometime during the week. I'm pretty fussy and have always filled my own tanks... I've NEVER had a line boy or fuel truck driver do it in 25 years of flying my first homebuilt. There are just too many careless &/or incompetent people nowadays, even to accomplish such a simple task, and it's too important & critical to me.
    I have a rule always be the last one to touch your fuel caps. Had a line guy put my caps on backwards once. That simple rule saved my bacon that day.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Jrevens & Kitfoxnick,

Regarding fuel filling & fuel cap checking....You guys have my vote......I am another person who won't let anyone else mess with the fuel caps or fill the airplane....And I am the last one to check the cap in case anyone riding with me wants to do their own fuel check before we takeoff.

I have seen so many line persons hang the fill hose on the wing tank with out regard for the possible damage they could do.....have a line person put the cap on backwards???.....you mean they actually PUT IT ON rather than leaving it on the truck/pump/ground...don't even get me started on proper grounding.

I am sure there are competent line staff out there somewhere...its just not possible to know if they are the ones filling your plane if you don't know them well.

Sincerely,

Dave S

The last time I allowed someone to put fuel in the cap was only hooked on the front tab, the tab at the back of the cap was resting on top of the flange. I'm sure glad I do a through Pre-Flight.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Was with a friend once in his Cessna - the line boy left one tab out - 13 gallons in about 2 minutes of flight - looked like heavy fog running off the wing - I'd suggested checking it & he didn't.