Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying Private Pilot w/o Medical

Default Re: Flying Private Pilot w/o Medical

If you fly into controlled airspace without an endorsement weather you are private of Sport, there is nothing wrong with that until something happens. You can rob a bank and everything looks ok, until you get caught. If you drop from Private to Sport, you do not retain the privileges of Private until you go back to Private.

Letting your medical expire is NOT "dropping your private" I have allowed my third class medical expire because both my planes meet the sport pilot requirements, I never fly at night, etc. etc. I am still a private pilot. If asked, I reply that I am a private pilot exercising sport pilot privileges.

If I decide that I need to fly a plane that does not meet the sport pilot requirements, I only need to renew my medical.

At no time is my license changed to "sport pilot".

Louie

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Paul,
    If your airplane is Sport Pilot legal - registered as 1320# gross, etc. - and you didn't lose your medical before deciding not to renew it, and you meet the other requirements to be Sport Pilot legal, then you are OK. I don't know what you mean by having an "issue" with it, but the rules are pretty clear in that regard. If you're not OK and you have an accident, for instance, your insurance company & the FAA are going to have a real issue with it. I don't know if Paul knew you had a medical or not, or if he asked you.
    I have had my Pilots License since I April of 1983. At my last medical, I had to play the games with the Medical Examiner over a simple Basel Cell Skin Cancer. After that I decided I wanted to fly on my drivers License.

I started looking for a Kitfox Experimental, that was certified as an ESLA. I was surprised how many owners were willing to outright lie to me about the status of the plane. I found only one that was actually Certified as an XLSA with weight limit of 1320. John McBean saved my bacon on this, telling me what to look for in the paperwork.

I went up to the factory to purchase a Series 7 Kit, and John sowed me 703KA the first Factory SLSA for sale, we struck a deal, I now own a Certified SLSA 703KA.

When I went up to fly with Paul we had talked several times, I was the only SLSA owner, that Paul L was unable to fly with, out of the 18 or so owners. I had told both Paul and Preston I was flying as an SLSA Pilot on my drivers license as my medical. The first time I went up to Boise in May of 2014, that I wanted to fly a Tail Dragger to make sure I really wanted to convert mine. I also told Paul I wanted to do some Mountain Flying, we did both, and man was that fun.

Then when I flew my plane up to get it converted I flew with Preston to get familiar with the news 703KA Tail Dragger. In getting my Private Pilots License , I had received my pilots license long before the Endorsement rules for Class B, C, or D. I had been signed off to go into a Towered Control Airport Procedures in May of 1982. I have flown into Dallas Love Field, Addison, Dallas Executive, and San Antonio International many many years ago. I told Preston, I was no longer comfortable flying into Towered Control Airports, and that I wanted to get current. So in my week of familiarization with 703KA as a Tail Dragger we practiced Approach, Tower, Ground, Clearance Delivery, and Departure Communications and the differences for Class B, C, or D Airports.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,
    (I sure do like your new avitar!)
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    Paul,
    (I sure do like your new avitar!)
    Well the guy that took the picture is a great friend!

I wish I wasn't so darn FAT!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Lion8 View Post
    … If you drop from Private to Sport, you do not retain the privileges of Private until you go back to Private.
    I disagree with this statement.

A class D endorsement for a sport pilot certificate holder is about training in radio communications and operations in a controlled airspace. This training is already given in the private pilot licensing process as required by FAR.

This was confirmed by a call to a friend who is a LS instructor.

However, if you can cite the FAR proving me wrong, I will humbly yield.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I disagree with this statement.

A class D endorsement for a sport pilot certificate holder is about training in radio communications and operations in a controlled airspace. This training is already given in the private pilot licensing process as required by FAR.

This was confirmed by a call to a friend who is a LS instructor.

However, if you can cite the FAR proving me wrong, I will humbly yield.
    I have to agree with this. I am a private pilot with instrument rating. When I dropped my medical and went to flying light sport back in 2009 I asked my instructor about this. He didn't know the answer but checked and reported back to me that as a private pilot I already had the communications training that was required. It makes sense. (not saying that everything the government does makes sense. )

I think flying in the class B-C-D airspace is about the only private privledge that follows to being a sport pilot. You will lose the ability to fly at night, above 10,000', above an overcast (even "broken"), and one I have to be careful of when I let my medical lapse is getting a "special VFR " clearance when the class D airspace my airstrip is located in is less than 1000 and 3 miles. Might be some more but these are a few that come to mind.

JimS