Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing fuel tanks

Default replacing fuel tanks

Well the process has started. My tanks began a slow leak at the end of summer flying and now its -20C so time to replace. I will attempt to photo the process and show you what I find. Any pointers are always welcome.
    It was really hard to make that first cut into my baby but it had to be done. The new tanks arrived from Kitfox and we began. As you can see from the photos the tanks are from the 80s version. They had begun to delaminate and the one partition was at least half off on one end. What amazes me is that there were no chunks of stuff in my fuel filters. Previous owner must have tried to slosh one tank at one point, he also moved the tank filler holes inboard. I didn't realize this till new tanks arrived. I guess he moved them for some reason. I kind of liked it cause I could stand on the tire to lift my fuel up for filling. Not sure if I can reach the new holes the same way. Put the new tanks in and am waiting for the fabric to arrive. Really having trouble finding the high gloss orange paint to match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: replacing fuel tanks

Best of luck with the replacement Mic.
    Sorry you had to cut your beautiful fabric/paint job though.
    Must come up with a microscopic tank replacement surgery method. Less invasive. Faster recovery time.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I hope you find a good match, I love your paint job. If you can't come up with one, PM me, I may have a solution for you.

Looking good so far. Remember to install some sort of block between the tank and butt rib. This will prevent the butt rib from bending in toward the tank when you tension the fabric. Also you might want to blend the area where the tank meets the spar with some type of filler. When you go to fabric, start at the leading edge underneath the tank and go up and over the leading edge to the trailing edge, then back forward over the leading edge. This way the fabric will always have the air holding it on and not trying to rip it off.

Another thing check for leaks. Had one a buddy did, and leaked real bad in a hard slip. We found a void in the tank that was not visible, but when he slipped it real hard it leaked. Took a screwdriver to it and the hairline crack was actually a void in the manufacturing. Fortunately this was next to the butt rib and easily repaired with the wing folded back.

When checking for leaks don't use any kind of pressure more than a pound or two. I recommend using a latex glove or balloon inflated on the gas cap.

Just some ideas you'll be back in the air in no time.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Looking really nice. I like the idea of having the filler next to the but rib for refuelling. Any way you could swap the tanks left for right and still be able to plumb and access the fuel lines?
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

The other reason for having the filler closer to the fuse is when folding the wings with fuel in them, they can not be full or you get overflow.

The fuel tanks come with the holes drilled and tapped for main port, vent, and sight gauges. If you swapped sides, these holes would need to be plugged and new ones drilled and tapped on the other side. Not sure if there is enough wall thickness on that other side to hold a fitting without building it up with fiberglass.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

If you relocate the tank filler caps to the inside, you will loose some fuel capacity. Jim Chuk

If you could some more pic would be great. looking at replacing our aluminum tanks in our model 2

Fabric going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images