Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox forum US Sport Aviation Expo

Default Kitfox forum US Sport Aviation Expo

An FYI, The US Sport Aviation Expo, in Sebring, Florida, this January 14 thru 17 will host three forums on combining touring the US by small motor home and Kitfox (or Just, Avid, Aerotrek, etc). My wife and I have taken our Kitfox IV, Rotax 80, all over the US each year for over a decade. Starting in the Florida keys, hitting down east coastal Maine and the International Seaplane fly in at Moose Head Lake, eating lots of lobsters, heading out to the Pacific coast, crossing back over to play extensively in the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Bryce Canyon, Montecello and Canyon Lands area, and on our return playing on remote Gulf coast barrier islands with a whole lot more in between. We rarely stay overnight at RV parks, saving huge expenses that way, which is surprisingly easy. I am happy to share how this process of touring by RV and LSA can be remarkably inexpensive and of course huge FUN. The plane and enclosed trailer, which serves as a mobile hanger and shop, is dropped off at airports along the way where we want to fly, down low and slow, which of course is our pleasure in the Kitfox. Then, when the weather is spectacular we hop in the Kitfox and go flying, what a treat. No need to schedule a check ride to use a rental plane, no scheduling of a rental plane in advance just to find the weather did not cooperate or the rental is out of service and no worries about rental aircraft maintenance history. Best of all the types of places we fly in (NOT OVER) are absolutely meant for light STOL aircraft like a Kitfox. For those who do not fold their wings frequently, From pulling the trailer thru an airport gate to having the Kitfox out of its nest, wings swung and ready to fly is as little as 8 minutes if you have your act down pat. I can show lots of tips on "How To Do It". We have probably 85,000 plus miles over the road with the plane in the trailer without hurting the plane And only been denied access thru an airport gate once. If you get a chance come by one of the forums, love to exchange ideas, learn from others. Oh, I will probably do similar forums again this year at Sun N Fun, Air Venture and Copper State. No sales involved, just info sharing from a member of the SoutherMost EAA Chapter 1241, Marathon, Florida Keys Best to all for the new year. BJ Kitfox IV 1050 Rotax 912 bjones@dmv.com

Default Re: Kitfox forum US Sport Aviation Expo

I saw you and your rig (and giant spiders) at Copperstate this October. You were pretty busy talking with folks and my wife was hungry so I didn't get a chance to chat. We have been thinking a lot about doing something similar here in the western US with a pickup camper. Do you have a book or other form of media with all your secret tips and tricks?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Sounds like an interesting form. I think it would be great if you posted one of your adventures on the Kitfox Forums.

I have been contemplating renting an enclosed trailer to haul my Kitfox SLSA to Alaska. Since I fly on my drivers license the Canadians will not allow me to fly through Canada. So trailering it is the only option. How wide and long of Trailer, 8.5 ft X 22 ft?
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I would like to echo those ideas. Post a trip on this site and share other media sources for purchase or otherwise. I fly a fair bit within 100 miles of home so the longer flights and packing and what to take is of interest to me. Dreaming of a flight to Oshkosh...

Happy New Year to all Kitfoxers

I have added a few new pics to my "albums" on Kitfox2009 if anyone is interested in another idea for a trailer.
    The empty trailer is less than 2000 lbs which I feel is important when towing behind a smaller RV like mine.
    Most of the pics are during construction last summer in my back yard.
    It tows very well but unfortunately "life and business" got in the way this year because my plan was to head south before winter.
    The only trip so far was a few hundred kilometers across southern BC last fall.
    Cheers
    Don

The finished product.
    All loaded and ready to go. Note prop blade out the back!!!!
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Sounds like an interesting form. I think it would be great if you posted one of your adventures on the Kitfox Forums.

I have been contemplating renting an enclosed trailer to haul my Kitfox SLSA to Alaska. Since I fly on my drivers license the Canadians will not allow me to fly through Canada. So trailering it is the only option. How wide and long of Trailer, 8.5 ft X 22 ft?
    Hi Paul, if you don't land in Canada on your way we will never know! I honestly wonder if there is a loop hole there....

It's funny how you can't fly here but I can have a 60 month medical because I'm under 40 but still be allowed to fly in the US.

Yea, I checked, I was planning a vacation, I was going to fly to Valdez Alaska for their STOL Flyin. I found out I need to get a Class 3 Physical to fly through Canada. I have no desire to walk in to a Doctor, and have him say oops you've got an ingrown toe nail, so you can't get a medical. That would end my flying. As long as I stay out of the Doctors I am in charge, when I feel good I fly when my in grown toe nail hurts I don't fly.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    The finished product.
    All loaded and ready to go. Note prop blade out the back!!!!
    Don
    I see it is a Boat Trailer. Looks like it takes you longer to unwrap it than to fold the wings. I drive a Toyota Tacoma Truck, I can't tow a Hugh heavy trailer. I/m thinking of getting an Enclosed Trailer. I need to go Fold the wings and do some measuring to see what trailer size I would need.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

It takes about 30 or 40 minutes to load or unload. I haven`t done it many times, so I may get better at it.
    The intent was for long hauls. I have a small open trailer for short trips.