Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tire width/span question

Default Tire width/span question

As I posted a couple days ago I have been delivered an older IV-1200 that I hope to work on during the winter months. I am now in the process of trying to construt a trailer to haul it with me on my trip to Ft. Meaded, MD. WHile I was making measurements for the landing gear width, I realized that I might want to make this part of the trailer adjustable. My thoughts are, if me or my son wants to install the Grove type gear, I would need a different width gear platform to fit the wider gear.
    Could someone give me the measurements of the Grove gear? I would guess if this gear were install the tires would be of the 'Bush tire' variety. Currently I have a set of 26" Goodyears (probably too heavy for the IV) and a set of 29" AkBushwheels. The 29's are on the RANS S7 right now but that plane may be getting sold. The Desser 27" tires are on my wish list.

Default Re: Tire width/span question

5' 0" inside grove gear. I have 600X6 Matco wheels and outside of tires is 74"

Be careful Keith, it's along way from MN to MD and a lot of salt on the roads that time of year. I've seen a few foxes damaged trailering. Might want to consider taking the horizontal, and a wing off, and putting inside a Uhaul. I have an original skystar trailer that came with the plane and was considering making it modular to accept both bungee and Grove. My plan is to add a removable piece of that would lay on top of the rails for the grove gear and use the same ramps. Give me a shout when you get down this way. Just finished another model 4 project for a friend. That was my third.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Nick,

How have you been? Funny you replied to my post since I have been meaning to get in touch with you. I was hoping to meet up again when I get over that way.

I have thought of just removing the wings and leaving them here and just bringing the fuselage. I will only be there for 4 month's so I may not have as much time to work on it as I want.
    My mind is still not made up whether or not I am going to tow the plane over that direction. The main hold back is exactly what you mention, expected damage. Mike, the previous owner, hauled this plane from IL to my place without any damage. About 700 +/- miles on a flat bed utility type trailer.
    The trailer I am going to convert has springs and shocks designed for a boat. I think it was an expensive trailer in its day. About the only part of it I am using is the axle/suspension.

I will get in touch when I get to MD.
    Keith