Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruptured fuel tank

Default Re: Ruptured fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    I'm convinced now on this model 4 I'm looking at ,..I'm going to weld up 2 aluminum tanks ..
    Aluminum has been tried. Both on the Avid and in the Kitfox.. They both leaked. There are some ideas but it would mean much less fuel on board.

What we have works.. and has worked for many years. The resins we are using today are resistant to the ethanol..

Burn 100LL or at a least a mix ratio of 100LL and premium.. change the oil as recommended and use TCP.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

good point airhawg

now that I think of it ,on my race car ..there was an outer shell made of steel or aluminum and a liner that was made from a much thinner material similar to the red gas cans,.. ..it was exposed to G loads up to 12 plus(Depending on how hard you hit the wall ,..ouch) and vibration..I never had to replace the liner in my fuel tank ..and I ran racing fuel along with 100 LL.
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 06-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.

After removing the fabric, a split in the top right seam was discovered. The split was about 4 inches long.

I carefully removed the #1 rib which was easy as the bonding was failed at the front spar, installed 3 teeny rivets in the tank lip, then fiberglass over the lip using fiberglass cloth and resin.

The plane has been repainted. The top coat came right off with MEK but the bottom coat does not. Do I need to sand all the paint where a new piece of Poly-Fabric will overlap or will the glue stick to the old paint?

Scott