Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder Cutouts for Bolts

Default Rudder Cutouts for Bolts

Can someone give me an idea how big these should be? I am trying to keep them small, bur frankly it doesn't work. I have the feeling I am wasting a lot of time trying to figure out how to put in bolts (screws) and tighten them when I may just need to cut big holes.

Thanks

Tom Livermore

Default Re: Rudder Cutouts for Bolts

We'll assume you are asking about a rudder with the speed kit fairing. The simple answer is the access slots or holes need to be big enough for a wrench and wide enough to turn a nut at least 1/12 turn. Which will give you the smallest access hole and the largest headache. But that is not much help. So let's get practical.

Cut your slots or holes as large as necessary to allow easy installation of the rudder bolts. Instead of a hole so small you can barely get a wrench inside; make a hole big enough for a thumb and finger. Then fabricate a curved sheet metal cover to seal off most of the access hole leaving just a small slot necessary for the rod ends to clear the rudder fairing.

Cosmetically, the sheet metal cover will look better than an uncovered hole and the larger access will lower the aggravation factor.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Texas.

Thanks John, that has bothered me since I fabricated mine. I will go back and enlarge and make covers for them.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

I saw John McBean's plane and he used a clear tape to cover the access holes. I like this idea because I really like to be able to see the rudder hinge bolts every time I do a preflight. A metal cover would prevent this inspection.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I used a piece of thin clear acetate to make covers for my SS7. I can see the hardware on each preflight. Covers are attached with two sided tape.

Dick B

Great ideas. How thick a piece of acetate was used? Really attached with two sided tape?

Thanks

Tom

About .016 to .018 sheet acetate ( you can get some at Office Depot) and yes normal Scotch brand two sided tape. Been on for over a year and no problem.

Dick B

Thanks Dick

Tom