Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Matco master cylinder issue. Bent!!!

Default Matco master cylinder issue. Bent!!!

The calipers were rebuilt with no issues, but after the system was bled, the left master cylinder would not spring back after being pushed. Hmm. Strange. Rebuild kits were ordered and with parts cleaned and ready to go back together, it turned out the main piston plunger shaft is bent. My best guess is a panic stop by the former owner. My second guess is that the other side may be bent and could result in a locked brake on landing. So before I order a replacement cylinder, I think the other one needs to come out and be checked.

Default Re: Matco master cylinder issue. Bent!!!

Did you purchase a whole new MC or just the shaft? Luckily they are extremely easy to rebuild and the parts are fairly cheap.

Default Re: Matco master cylinder issue. Bent!!!

The kits are cheap at $10. I don't know if the shaft is available, but I kept the parts anyway. I wouldn't call the rebuild easy either based on the sanding of the rubber plug to 1/16" +/- .005". That was a pain in the butt. It may have been a little too tall, but it didn't matter after I saw the shaft was bent. And I treated that thing like raw eggs too....

So I would need two shafts and one rubber plug. Versus buying two new master cylinders.