Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bounce/balloon

Default Re: bounce/balloon

A old pilot of Hélio Courrier and Waco..said when you Land on wheel the tail want to go down when your wheel touch the ground and appens the bounce....so he said when you start it's better to ..at last time bank a little bit the aircraft left or right to touch only one wheel and the inertie give more energie on second wheel..and the result was no bounce......
    I dont know if i explain correctly....

Jf

The trick is knowing your plane and your seat altitude to the ground
    This only happens with practice/experience.
    When i wheel land i set up for normal approach holding her off the ground until my "seat altitude" feels right then i put slight forward stick to let her settle, once the mains are on the ground i hold them down with stick, i do not rely on the slower speed to keep her grounded, a gust of wind can lift you back up, it's true the saying " a tail dragger never stops flying until the engine stops" its good to keep that in mind.
    This is the major difference between tail draggers and tricycle planes( nothing against either config.) each has its own characteristics.
    A pilot can come in hot, set the mains down with power and push the stick forward, as long as the power is up the plane will remain flying with wheels down and stick forward hence the phrase " stick the landing"
    Now slow down enough on approach to set the mains down gently with no bounce and you know the meaning of the phrase " grease the landing"
    The biggest problem GA pilots have during the transition to a light aircraft, is 90% landing, you can not stall a light aircraft 5' off the surface and plop it on the ground like you can a heavier aircraft, the light aircraft will let you know very quickly that it does not like it with a abrupt bounce , in that instant its best to power ip and go around for another attempt.
    And keep that in mind, you can always go around,.. Trying to clean up a nasty landing fighting the controls to straighten her out doesnt always end with the results we hope for
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Chase,
    I like the way you explained the dynamics of a good wheel landing. One more issue that comes with the stick forward action to "plant" the mains is the difficulty that some people have with thinking the airplane is going to nose over. This can set up a sort of phobia that is extremely difficult to overcome.

I suppose your right Tom, if a person thinks about it that way,
    If researched most nose overs are power to idle and brakes on, with a tail wheel... When you stick the landing your actually putting a tail wheeled plane into trike config ( aerodynamically )but without the nose wheel, being a trike has mains just rear of max rear CG and a taildraggers mains are forward of max forward CG, the aerodynamics and weight of tail and gear location make it so the only way aside from dropping the mains in a hole to nose over is power off and brakes on, now if your show boating and riding with tail up at a crawl, power up, too much brake and too much power can cause a prop strike but the tail would be really high, usually doing that if the tail is not at zero but slightly down then you get a skid on one or both tires
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Tom you are absolutely correct about pushing the stick forward when the wheels touch. it's just an unnatural act and it takes a while to get used to it
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

The others have brought up a great point.

I haven't tried this to the same extent in a Kitfox yet so it may not apply, but I would bet on it working. My tailwheel instructor would make me ride all the way down the runway with full throttle and FULL forward stick on a Champ to get me over the fear. Weird feeling at first, but it's like the tail would just lock in and feel very solid. He explained that as long as you're on the ground the relative wind would always be too much on top of the horizontal stab to let it flip over.

Flying the Kitfox I've definitely held at least half down elevator when rolling on the mains down the runway with full throttle on take offs, touch and goes, and landings. It definitely holds the plane on the ground past regular take off speed and I get the same "locked in" feeling as with the Champ. Of course I just ease up on the stick to add a little bit of up elevator so it gently lifts off. On landings you can stick it with the elevator and then hold the tail wheel off as you bleed off speed. Once the tail wheel falls and touches down on it's own from lack of lift(while still holding down elevator) I then immediately pull full up to keep it planted.

Basically, we're all describing wheel take off and landing techniques which require down elevator when it seems most unnatural.

Give it a try. Just don't mess with the brakes until your tail settles down to be safe. Some can keep the tail up and get all fancy, but this should help with your bounce if you're comfortable with wheel landings.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 12-02-2013 at 04:13 PM.

YOu want to learn to control better ?

Try landing on one wheel -- crosswind or not ...........

Run it down the runway doing an extended touch and go.
    Switch from Left ro right main.

Learn your plane............ really is not that hard.

once you master this you will be a better pilot..........

First learn slow flight........... at altitude.........

dis connect your ASI and feel your plane.

IF you not having this much fun -- you just ain't doing it right LOL
    Last edited by Dave F; 12-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Dave on stock gear that is easy,..on grove it takes a little more finess
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL