Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding the family Kitfox

Default Finding the family Kitfox

Greetings all, great forum you have here.

N923RC (kitfox IV) was a joint build between my father and grandfather 20 years ago. My grandpa was retiring at the time and wanted a fun airplane as a change of pace from the Bonanzas and Barrons he had been flying for business, and my dad was freshly finished with a concours restoration of an early Landrover and in the market for a new project.

I remember helping un-crate it in the driveway like it was yesterday!

Family life revolved around the garage at my grandparents house for a couple of years but progress was steady and I remember each major phase! Before I knew it it was back from painting!

^^^ There I am making engine noises circa 1992

Before I knew it there was a whole airplane in the driveway!

And not long after that it got an airworthyness certificate and we were FLYING!

When my grandpa voluntarily gave up his medical he decided to donate the Kitfox to a good friend of his in Owatonna MN who was opening up a museum and was excited to have such a fine example of a homebuilt to display! I assumed it would always be there to visit and appreciate when I was around that part of the country but I assumed wrong. The museum went under after a few years and its rather large collection of aircraft disappeared! My grandpa had the Kitfox deregistered with the FAA before donating it so the N number I had was pretty useless in tracking it down... years passed and would always wonder if I'd ever see the plane again and of course WHAT HAPPENED TO IT????

Myself and my entire family have always had extremely fond memories of the kitfox, including one particular forced landing in a bean field in Iowa on the way to Oshkosh. Well maybe that one is only fond in hindsight in the days before cell phones waiting on someone five hours past their expected arrival in a new homebuilt was pretty gut wrenching!

Anyway, a few years ago in the midst of my flight lessons I had a huge resurgence of interest in tracking down the old bird, hoping, PPL in hand I'd find it languishing in some barn up north waiting to be rescued! Just a few weeks ago I was given a box with all of the old build documentation including a treasure trove of pictures and a detailed daily journal of the build process! most importantly I found the serial number and with that and about thirty seconds of magical internet use I found her!!!!

Here she is more recently!

My heart literally skipped a beat when I saw that pic come up. I miss the old faux radial cowl but theres no mistaking the rest!

Looks like she's had a loving owner in Norway for quite some time and recieved some tasty mods like bush gear/wheels and a Jabiru swap!

Is anyone on here familiar with this plane or the owner? I would love to get in touch with him and hear more about its current state, how he came to obtain it etc!

Oh and even though my heart sank a little when I didn't find it on Barnstormers for 15k and days drive I'm thrilled to see it with someone who obviously loves it as much as we do, and Norway or not I'll still maintain a small sliver of hope I can talk him out of it someday

Thanks for reading!

Default Re: Finding the family Kitfox

Grrrrr I flipped those pics the correct way a hundred times now on the host site and they still show up like that! Sorry!

Wow. Cool story.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

very cool story.... try this link...
    http://www.jmfk.net/flyarkiv.html
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

A great recollection indeed! I did the same, research anyhow, to find my father-in-law's old C-150...found it had been restored to new with an upgraded panel in 2003. Looked great and, like "your" Fox, had been with someone who loved it as much as the family. Hope it works out for you...great story!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Thanks fellas! And thanks for that link! Looks like pretty much a guaranteed way to find the owner!

It really is amazing having the luck to track down a deregistered experimental half a world away!

I meant to put the serial number in the first post: It's Kitfox # 1604

Like most it was equiped with an 80hp 912 when we owned it. Judging from the google map of Fox's you have here it looks as though the Jabiru is a really popular swap in europe. How much power do they make? (Im unfortunately unsure of the exact model that was swapped in) but it looks like a hell of a STOL performer these days. Wasn't too shabby to begin with!

Here's another recent pic from the link posted

Just goorgeous

Alex,
    There is a guy from Norway that was very active on the other Kitfox email list who owned a Model III with jabiru 2200. I don't know if I ever saw a picture of his airplane, but I will PM you his email address and you can send him a note. I am pretty sure if it is not his, he should be able to help you locate the owner.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 12-04-2012 at 09:41 AM.

That would be fantastic if you can find it.! Thank you.!

I'm going to be in Europe later this month. Wouldn't it be crazy if I could pay this guy a visit??

Hello Alex,
    I did some research and the present owner of your family Kitfox is:
    John-Reidar Hov
    Brunesveien 77
    N-4322, Sandnes
    Norway
    Mobile phone: +47 98867229

Sandnes is close to Stavanger on the south-west coast. He flies from an airfield called, Hoyland, close by. The aircraft has now a Jabiru 3300.

I have tried to call him a few times after receiving Lowell's email, but to no avail, he doesn't seem to be home. Mind you, Stavanger is where the North Sea offshore industry is and perhaps he works on an offshore platform.

Anyway, I'll keep calling him and let you know when I get contact.

I live on the east coast, near Oslo, and I fly a Kitfox 3 with a Jabiru 2200. Actually, I think that the 3300 is an overkill because I reach easily my Vne with 85 HP and the 3300 is 120, I think.
    Here is a video from a flight from my airfield ENJB to Hoyland, a few years ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XuuC_7tKFA

Cheers,
    Michel

PS: my private email address is: michel@online.no
    Kitfox 3 with Jabiru 2200