Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Fabric Covering Question

Default Wing Fabric Covering Question

I'm approaching the wing stitching phase and what like to know if others have placed reinforcing tape (2 half inch pieces) over the 1st and 10th rib caps. These end ribs don't get stitched but does it look more uniform after painting if they have the tape like the others? Thanks for the help.

SS7
    912ULS

Default Re: Wing Fabric Covering Question

I did not.
    I don't think the fiberglass wingtip would match up very well with the extra thickness.

Jim

Same here. Also, the number 1 rib needs to be able to match the butt rib at the top and bottom and fit under the lexan roof overlap. The difference is not noticeable.

is everyone rib stitching the no.2 partial rib behind the fuel tank? if so, are you running the reinforcing tape and the finishing tape the full chord of the wing (up to the leading edge) for the purpose of looks?
    thanks, ken
    ss7 build

We did and even put fake rib stitching across the tanks.
    Dj Series 6

I didn't do the # 1 and 10 either. Stitched the backside of the #2 though. I thought of stitching the tanks as well, but I thought it was too much work for too little effort - Now I'm done I'm glad I didn't
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regarding the #1 and #10 ribs. On my Model IV, the #1 rib is over laid by the windshield skylight plastic. I wouldn't want the additional thickness there. My outboard rib does not have the tape either as the wing tip is attached there.

Regarding the tank. I put the "poor man" aluminum leading edge on and did run the tape to where it would normally terminate with bare ribs. I also put some false rib lacing over the aft portion of tank up to the aluminum leading edge for uniformity of appearance.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Same Same here....Our plane is an early S7.......No reinforcing tapes were used on #1 & #10 ribs in this case either....The reinforcing tapes are primarily to deal with the lacing and as others have already stated.....neither 1 nor 10 gets laced. We did use R-tape on the tail of #2.

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear

Just a thought on a related topic. I ended up about 3' short on the reinforcement tape having taped the #2 short rib, but not over the tank. Later I saw pictures where others hadn't put tape where the flapperon brackets will go. Makes sense but I was enjoying the moment and ran the tape the whole length of the spar. That is probably why I came up short.

I laced the trailing end of the #2 rib, and did NOT continue anything forward over the tanks... it never occured to me to do that!! I'm still happy with the way it turned out though. I did not lace nor place reinforcing tape under the flaperon brackets. I figured it would be more difficult to properly get the rivets in later, due to the added length required.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL