Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: butt rib end plate

Default Re: butt rib end plate

Flying in -25, do I want these cuffs?

I would compare flying a KF in t -25 to driving a '65 VW bug in -25: just about the same experience. The cold is gonna penetrate each. You're just gonna have to dress for it.

About the only thing you can do is cut down on the draftiness. The external leading edge cuffs totally eliminate drafts and weather entering there. Likewise in or around the rear spar attach point. IMHO, the source of ALL drafts is the turtle deck. (Incidentally, I've flown in downpours and the only place I've seen water enter is at the trailing edge of the turtle deck. So far the band aid is a towel laid in the cargo bay w/slits in the bag to let any water out (thanks JB).)

Recent experience: Last night, my daughter and I flew a 2 hour 'dinner' flight: clear and dry, OAT 40F. Beautiful sunset going up (VUO -> CHS), harvest moon rise coming back. Feet and legs toasty w/ the heater fan on. I could feel a light 'vague' draft around my head and neck that I believe is mixed air entering various places in the TD: windshield-turtle deck transition, flaperon holes, and gaps in the fit all combine to create a minor movement of air....I was very comfortable. After I gave her my leather jacket, she was OK, too. Keeping the head warm is the most effective thing you can do..

I'm writing a freakin' book here, sorry...hope it helps. I love this plane! 275 hrs. since May 1st...!

Floog,

Any photos of your plane on this site?

I also think a lot of the drafts come in thru the horizontal stab trim slots and then blow forward inside the fuse to the back of your neck.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Slightly off topic but here is my answer to filling in the area in the turtle deck were the flapperon shaft goes. You folks probably thought of this year's ago but it sure beats duct tape. Looks good and much less draft on the back of the neck.
    The slots on these just overlap the turtle deck slots only in the opposite direction.
    Hope this pic shows up.
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

What an illusion, until I was able to reverse the inside of my brain to see the covers instead of a 'pile of string'! Those covers are a great idea.

Jim, I had not thought about air coming all the way in from the stab....hmm.

I've attached a few pics of my 'carrot colored' airplane. One with the pants on and a couple without.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The most important thing to flying at -25 degrees C is an engine heater. My Rotax has problems starting if it gets Below 15 degrees C. It will take 45 minutes to an hour for it to warm up if it's -7 degrees C. I know, I've sat in it waiting for it to warm up at -7 degrees C. I ended up putting masking tape over 3/4 of the surface of the oil cooler, so it will warm up. I just recently put in a Reiff system, so this Winter I will be able to fly. I find once it is warm my heater is sufficient to keep me warm, but I rarely fly if it is anywhere close to 0 degrees C. That is tooooo fricking cold for my liking, and living in Dallas Texas it rarely gets below 0 degrees C.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    The most important thing to flying at -25 degrees C is an engine heater. My Rotax has problems starting if it gets Below 15 degrees C. It will take 45 minutes to an hour for it to warm up if it's -7 degrees C. I know, I've sat in it waiting for it to warm up at -7 degrees C.
    Yeah, up here engine heaters are a given, +5C and below you plug in 2 hours before you fly. Most people have inlet covers for their oil coolers.

I have a inlet cover its called masking tape, easy to remove & replace and cheap! I went up to Boise to have my Kitfox Converted to a Tail Dragger. First went flying in 724KA one of their Kitfoxes, it was about 60 Deg F or 15 Deg C, the factory is now putting on oil thermostats, it would only take a couple of minutes and it would be up to temp. When my plane was finished, no oil thermostat. We had to taxi the length of the runway, stop in the hold area and wait for it to get to maybe 110 Deg F for oil temp. When I change my hoses I'm putting in a Thermostat.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Oil and coolant thermostats make a big difference in warm up times, as well as sustaining temps during flight.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW