Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model IV Cargo Pod

Default Model IV Cargo Pod

Hi,

I am in the process of installing the "bomb" cargo pod on my model IV. It seems that the factory either neglected to weld the two forward attachment points on my fuselage or there is something I am missing. The three rear ones are there. So, it seems to me that the forward ones should be attached to the fuselage tube that crosses the cabin floor from left to right just under the aft edge of the wood flooring. I am hoping that a member that has a Model IV (even if it doesn't have the cargo pod) could verify that for me and also give me the distances from the outside "edge" of the fuselage to each of the tabs.

There are also two extra eye bolts included. I say "extra" because they are not shown in the single page diagram that I have for instructions. Perhaps they are mounted up through the floor board in a similar fashion as the radiator. Perhaps I am missing some instructions.

Hope to be flying soon! I want to have this done before inspection just in case it is considered a "major modification".

Thanks for the help!

Henry
    Last edited by henrysamson; 10-20-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Default Re: Model IV Cargo Pod

Henry, the front cargo pod mount tabs are welded on horizontal and do not stick down through the fabric like the rear ones do. Heres a picture during my construction.

I drilled the floor boards through those tabs just incase I wanted to install a pod some day. This picture shows the left front mount hole. I suspect the eye bolts are used to attach to the two front mounts. I don't have a picture of the right hand side one but I remember it is a couple inches in front of the right stick mount hole in the control colum.

You may be able to feel them by pushing up on the fabric in these areas. if you don't find them and no one responds with the measurements I can measure the location for you when I get down to the airport.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

The eye bolts go through the floor board. Added the cargo pod to my Classic IV a couple of years ago.

OK, I drilled those holes also although I didn't know what they were for and I bolted my floorboards to the tabs through the holes. It will be an easy matter to cut the fabric and remove the bolts and replace them with the eye bolts. But, the problem with me using them is that they are directly over where the Grove landing gear cross the bottom under the fuselage.

Anyone have the pod on a IV with grove gear? They still sell it with no caveats regarding excluded models. I bought it with the kit so I assume I got the version for a IV with spring gear.

I found this posting on another list. There must be a way!

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...ps-kitfox.html

If need be, I can mount the eyebolts on pod a little further apart. This will move the forward bracket further forward and then just bolt up through the floor boards (ahead of the gear and behind the radiator) in the same manner as used to attach the radiator and air scoop. But it won't be as strong.

Thanks for the responses!

Henry
    Last edited by henrysamson; 10-21-2012 at 05:46 AM.

I have the Grove gear on my Classic IV and the eye bolts are aft of the gear.

Are your eye bolt attached only to the wood floorboards or also to the tabs that TJ shows the location of in his pictures?

Thanks,

Henry

There are no tabs on my air frame. I used a fender washer on the top side and a standard AN washer on the bottom side. Plenty strong with a 40 lb. limit for the pod.

Thanks for all of the help on this!

Henry

Hi all,

here is a picture of my underside of the aircraft.
    Model 4 Speedster from 1996.

I can see no taps to put teh eyebolt on.

I think I see the tabs Spook. The rear ones stick straight down from the lift strut carry through tube and it Looks like there is a bolt installed through the left front one on the diagonal tube about 4 inches in front of the landing gear bungee tube.

Top View.
    Last edited by t j; 07-02-2014 at 09:28 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder