Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Experimentals

Default Used Experimentals

As a follow up to the why did you choose a Kitfox thread:

If I buy a flying or project Kitfox, what am I allowed to do for maintenance work on it? Am I limited to what a non-A&P can do to a certified plane? Are the rules spelled out (simply) somewhere?

In reading the archives, here and elsewhere, I see many of you have done this.

I'm still a little gun shy of the enormity of building a plane at this time.

Thanks, again.

Default Re: Used Experimentals

If the plane you buy is certificated as an "Experimental - Amateur Built", which is almost certainly would be, then you can do anything you like to it EXCEPT the annual condition inspection, that must be done by an A&P (No IA necessary). The rules are definitely spelled out in the FARs but I can't cite you the appropriate section at present.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

I am also interested in this topic as I picked up my project ~30% complete. I am now at the covering and painting stage looking forward to engine install but I am unclear what my limitations will be once the plane is finished. I belive I will meet the spirit of the rules by knowing my plane inside and out, I even rebuilt some of the project to meet my requirements. How do you know if you have done enough work to qualify as the primary builder?

Hi Dorsal, does your plane have a Number and airworthiness cert., if so you are not the builder if not and you finish the plane and get the airworthiness cert etc then you would be the builder and will be elidgble for a repairman's cert. and then can sign off the annual condition inspection and as Randy posted do all and any maint. that is needed.
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 01-30-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

oddly it has an N-number (which will be changed) but is a long way from airworthiness cert. The original builder got the n-number when he got the kit but I will get the certificate and have done most of the work. Is there such a thing as being the builder and not allowed the repairman cert?

Hi Dorsal, when you complete the airplane and get the airworthiness cert. you will be the manufacturer and as such you can apply for a repairman's cert. to do any and all maint. Sorry I miss spoke previously.
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 01-30-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    GB

Default Re: Used Experimental

I believe this is wrong. You will either need an AP license or the repairman's certificate to do the conditional inspection. As a builder you do not have to do 51 percent of the work. 51 percent has to be done by amateurs as opposed to a hired builder. You only have to show that you did and know enough to maintain the plane. At least thats the way I read it.
    Jim Series 5 Lake Elmo MN
    0-200 working hard in the cold winter

Hi Jim you are right, I miss spoke, as the builder (mfg) of the aircraft you can apply for a repairman cert to be able to do any and all manit including the Annual Conditon inspection. Sorry about the miss information
    Heres a link:
    http://www.flightsimaviation.com/dat...rt_65-104.html
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 01-30-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    GB

Very helpful and clear, thanks!
    Hope this was useful to AV8R as well.

Maybe my understanding is too simple, I still cant find reference in my FAR/AIM (and I hate reading legalese! ), but:

As the non-builder, owner of an experimental A/C you can do all maintenance, repairs and modifications that the builder could, but you are subject to an annual condition inspection by at least an A&P.

Is that correct?