Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Canadian winters & anti-freeze

Default Canadian winters & anti-freeze

In my Kitfox II I have a Rotax 532 water cooled engine. This will be the first winter that it will not be in a heated hanger. My question is what type of anti-freeze should I use to protect the engine from freeze up. Thanks to all who can help.

Larry

Default Re: Canadian winters & anti-freeze

I use Prestone pre-mix. Just go down to your local NAPA or Lordco and buy a good quality pre-mixed anti-freeze. I've had my Kitfox IV 582 out in -45 with no issues. If you plan to fly during cold weather I recomend you pre heat before starting. Pre heating is good for both engine and gear box.

Pieter

Default Re: Canadian winters & anti-freeze

MAKE SURE that you use silica free anti-freeze! I think that just about all the "extended life" anti freezes are silica free but you can read the bottle to make sure. I normally mix mine 70/30, but make sure that it is good down to -30F. I kept mine tied down at the airport all last winter and never had any issues. Was nice not to have to mess with the preheat either as opposed to the conventional planes. I do have a Mr. Buddy to put in the cockpit while the engine is warming up to knock the chill off though.