Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Oil?

Default What Oil?

Seems that Mobil 1 4t is a popular oil for a 912...but according to the rotax chart,doesn't have gear additives in it. Do we need the gear additives? What oil(that is easy to find) do you guys use?..Thanks, Dan

Default Re: What Oil?

Mobile 1 4T (designed for passenger cars) does not have the required additives, but Mobile 1 Racing 4T does.

Mobile 1 Racing 4T was designed for motorcycles, considering the Rotax 912 has more in common with motorcycle engines than with cars, it stands to reason that it would be the more appropriate choice.

I’ve read a few articles which somewhat contradict each other regarding the necessity of these additives. Even the Rotax service bulletins say the additives aren’t an absolute necessity, but if you choose to use oil without the additives, more frequent inspections of the gear box are recommended.

You should be able to find it at one of your local motorcycle shops (my local Yamaha dealer carries it). The down side is the price, it’s almost 50% more expensive than other oils, but if you want the absolute best Mobile 1 Racing 4T is the stuff to get.

For more info:
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx

I run Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil 10w-40. It came highly recommended to me by some close friends that have a training school with several 912 powered light sport airplanes. A few months ago they replaced a 2000 hour 912, not because of any mechanical reason. I think it was more of an insurance issue because it had reached TBO. These are hard hours with thousands of full power practice take offs, landings and take off again. This engine ran just as good as it did on the first day with good compression and not a drop of oil added ever. It has the gearbox additive so it's perfect for the 912. I have a 1987 Toyota 4x4 that I ran Amsoil synthetic in for years before it started using oil and I still drive it every day but I switched back a regular oil because of cost. With Amsoil I changed the oil once a year (about 6000 miles) and it shined like a new dime inside with the valve cover off. The seals are leaky now but the oil did a great job. Anyway, you can tell I'm a believer in Amsoil products. You can contact a dealer if you know one or contact Amsoil at 800-777-7094. There's a fee to buy direct that is due once a year. I run it in my newer F150 4x4, injector oil in my bass boat and the Dominator 2 stroke in a 503 GCS Hawk. I'm a customer for life. James Thomas

If a person intends to run 100 ll on occasion, a semi synthetic is required - Aeroshell Sport plus 4 is approved by Rotax for 912 & 914 seriew. This is the oil which many factory built light sport with the rotax 912 are running.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 trigear
    912 ULS Warp Drive
    Mobil 1 4 RT/ Amsoil Motorcycle/AeroShell SP 4

Dan--

I'd stick with what is recommended by Rotax for that motor: Mobil 1 Racing 4T (with auto gas) or Aeroshell Sport +4 (with 100LL).

In your area is ethanol mandated in automotive gas?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hi, Larry...I heard you guys talking about Mobil 1,but I didn't know about the "4T" part. Fortunately,our premium fuel does not have ethanol(at least where I buy from)....the regular and mid-grade does...Dan.

Where do I get the Mobil 1 4t in the USA?... Dan

I run 91 octane (premium) auto gas so I use the Mobile 1 Racing 4T oil per the recommendation of Brian at LEAF. I change on a ~50 hour interval and use Rotax filters that I stock up on at Airventure every year...

On your plane with the hydraulic CS prop, you may want to give them a call and see if they recommend something else for oil.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Ehfox View Post
    Where do I get the Mobil 1 4t in the USA?... Dan
    Any auto parts store should have it. I by mine from Oreilly's ( formerly Shucks )

Scott

I have to go to a wholesale distributor and buy by the case because none of the parts stores here will carry it. Napa, Car Quest and O'Reily's won't carry it because there is not enough sales volume in my small town.

This is one of the reasons I may switch to the Shell Sport +4; because I can easily get it at the local FBO.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

You can run what ever oil you choose and I wish you the best.

I will run what was recommended by the people who know what is truly proper in these motors, my Rotax dealer.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos