Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Englanders with a flying tricycle gear?

Default New Englanders with a flying tricycle gear?

As I close in on flying my machine I would love to take a dual hop in a 5-7 tri-gear Fox. If there is anyone in MA, CT, RI, ME, VT, NH, NY that would be interested in showing off their aircraft please let me know.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: New Englanders with a flying tricycle gear?

dorsal . did you get a dar lined up and hows it going to work for your inspection ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Yes I have a DAR, he has been for a pre-inspection about a month ago, liked what he saw. I think I am only a couple of weeks from asking him back for the AW inspection, that the theory anyway. Still looking to get some time in a tricycle Fox, no takers so far, happy to extend my search to the NE quarter of the US.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 05-02-2010 at 03:54 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

after all the work , this is a exciting time for you . reduces a lot of the stress once you start working with the dar and know what he expects .
    sorry i cant help with a ride , hope you can get some time in one before the big day. good luck and enjoy the moment
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

if my memory is right..there s a guy near Wells Maine with a trike-gear model 5,.now if I see him on here ,..or on EAA site ..not sure ,..I'll check

Chase

CDE2FLY has a model 7 ,..he is in Greene NY which is just north of Binghamton NY ,.think his is a tail dragger though.

Dorsal ..John McBean might know someone whohas a model 7 in Mass as well ,that might not be on the forum..he is from near the Cape also,..not too far from my home town.

Hi Dorsal - Sky Pirate is right...I'm near Binghamton with a Model 7 tail drager. Let me know if you would like some stick time. My first flight was in July last summer and I've got just over 100 hours on it. I've been very pleased with the airplane and 912S/IVO in flight adjustible prop.

CDE,
    Thanks, I will try to take you up on your offer, sent you an email.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I have had my Kitfox all that long, I may have 45 hours on it. I had not flow much in the last 15 years and decided I wanted to get back into it. I purchased the Kitfox SLSA , which is a tri-gear. At first I was a little intemidated with flying it because of my inexperience over the last years. However, after flying it for about 10 hours I got over the nervous, and I must admit in the tri-gear arrangement it it's is easier to land than a Cessna 152. Just watch the go arounds, with the flaps down! I would be willing to give you a ride, but I live in Texas. However, if you want some stick time, before you fly, if you are willing to fly to Dallas on a commercial bird I would be willing to take you up! Best of luck!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul ..have you been practicing slipping your kitfox? kitfox's slip like they live for it ..you can feel her get into the slip notch like she is on a rail
    ride her out till she is about 50 AGL flatten her out apply a little flap ..she'll set down like your landing on a pillow

I have landed quite a few slips. I was surprised how easy this plane lands. You hold off on the flaps until 50 feet AGL? I'll have to try that. My biggest problem is slowing it down. I pull back full on the throttle and it doesn't seem to want to get much slower than 75 miles per hour, I keep trimming the nose up and then flair for landing. I need to try some landings with my approach in the 65-75 range
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas