Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Height Of Tri-Gear SS7 With Tail Down

Default Height Of Tri-Gear SS7 With Tail Down

Hello fellow Kitfox enthusiasts. I am new to this site. I have been lurking for some time, trying to learn as much as I can about the Kitfox, because I am seriously considering building an SS7. One of the key selling points of this design for me is its folding wings, and the ability to put it in my garage, because hanger rental rates are high around these parts.
    I have not decided for sure yet whether I would configure it as a TD or tri-gear, but I am currently leaning towards the tri-gear. I have a standard 7 foot high garage door. I assume that the tri-gear would not fit under my door opening in its normal "3-point stance", because it is advertised as being 8' in height. However, would it fit if the aircraft were tipped back on its tail first? I could not find any documentation on the height of the highest point on the aircraft when it is in this position. Could anyone answer this question for me?

You sound like a wonderful group of people, very courteous and knowledgeable, and you have definitely hooked me with your enthusiasm for this aircraft, and you have impressed me with your willingness and ability to help others. I am excited at the prospect of becoming a part of this "family".

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Height Of Tri-Gear SS7 With Tail Down

Yes it will fit with the tail down which occurs naturally when the wings are folded (the cg moves behind the main gear). The width is a true 8' so I would plan on needing at least a 9' door to minimize hangar rash.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dave,

Here are a couple shots of a tail dolly which allows the tail to go low enough to clear a 7 foot door; and, keeps the nose from going up so far that the prop gets in the way of the 7 foot door. Also nice to have a wheel on the tail to move the airplane around. The fuselage on the series 7 has two through tubes you can run long bolts through. This was in and out of the garage about a gazillion times during construction - 7x9 door with two other cars in the garage.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    Lake Elmo/St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you know about how much clearance there is with the tail in this position? My reason for asking is that I was wondering if it would be possible to have the aircraft on a low-slung trailer and still get it through the door without having to take the A/C off the trailer.

Thanks again,
    Dave