Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model IV Wing locker

Default Model IV Wing locker

Does anyone have installation plans for the wing locker on a Model IV?

Default Re: Model IV Wing locker

Hi T.W. are you talking about the 2 tubes that go from the tail to the wing in fold position? if you are,.. fold your wing and measure from leading edge to leading edge in fold position ..duplicate that measurement on the wing tip in fold position ..hold it there with a rope lightly around the 2 wings ..then measure from the vertical stab attach point to the wind strut attach point for the right dimensions ..with each plane the dehidral can be slightly different so you basically make a set to fit your plane

Chase

Looking for the installation instructions for putting a wing locker outboard from a 6 gallon fuel tank on my port wing.
    T.W.

yes. wing locker storage area.

ok roger that ..well ,unless you have a storage container already built,..you must decide how you want it excessible top or bottom,....each has it's advatanges and disadvantages,..top or bottom,..if I were to make one I'd make it so it dropped down out of the wing with hinge on the front towards leading edge .

When I ordered the kit (18 yrs. ago) I ordered the wing storage locker as an option. It came with a hinge, cam locks, plywood etc. There were just no instructions on how to put it in the wing. Just wondered if anyone else has a locker and how it was installed.

T.W.

I am not sure but wouldn't it mount like the gas tank?
    Ty
    Kitfox IV-1200

the 6 gal. tank goes in the first bay between 1st & 2nd ribs. The space between 2nd & 3rd ribs is the location of the locker. There are parts for the locker but nowhere in the building plans are there instructions for the assembly
    Last edited by T.W. Sullivan; 04-18-2010 at 11:42 AM.

I looked through my entire builders manual and all I found was this document. (Bottom view looks like what you are building.)
    No instructions on installation of the wing locker. I also have the same view with the Speedster wing available. I suspect there was a separate instruction addendum when the wing locker option was ordered. You probably have the same page in your manual.
    I had one wing locker on my model 3 which was OK as the 3 was lacking in behind the seat storage but the bigger fuel tank would have been my choice if I had built it. With the 912 it would have meant 2 to 2.5 more hours of fuel on board. Hard to reach the wing locker from the ground even on the taildragger.

Maybe someone will find the instructions and post them for you.

Model 4 manual photo copy Wing locker Kitfox long wing with 6 gal. fuel tank.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

My M4 has the wing locker option, but it was mostly installed when I bought the kit. I've gone through my original manual, as well as the update I ordered, and the only mention of the wing locker is the pictures that Steve posted (although my manual also shows it with 13 gallon tanks).

There's not actually that much to it. The floor is just a piece of plywood glued to the rib cap strips, and the lid is plywood. The camlocs are mounted on an aluminum extrusion that's riveted to the plywood filler, same as the piano hinge. The leading edge is solid plywood but the rear is fabric covered. The sides are 1/8" clear lexan.

Here are some pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images