Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Series 7 with UL Power engine?

Default Kitfox Series 7 with UL Power engine?

I just ordered a Kitfox Series 7 kit (tri gear). I know it will be a while before I have to decide on an engine, but I'd like to get what input I can now.

I have about 200 hours behind a Rotax 912 ULS in a Flight Design CTLS. I think the engine is fine--I've never had any problems with it except for occasional high oil temps. However, I would really prefer an engine that spins a bit slower.

I've been looking at the UL Power engines, particularly the UL350i, for some time. It's about the same installed weight as the Rotax and would produce more power, even at 2500-2700 RPM (max power of 118 is at 3300 RPM). The engine is air cooled and fuel-injected (FADEC) and, well, I want one.

I'm not anxious to be a pioneer by being the first to install a UL Power engine in a Kitfox. Any thoughts on this engine (I understand and almost accept the difficulty of finding the right prop)?

Thanks, Jim

Default Re: Kitfox Series 7 with UL Power engine?

Congrags. on ordering a kit, you will not regreat it. I don't know anything about the UL engines so I can not comment on them. I went with the Rotax and love it.
    Dj Series 6

I'll plan an engine retrofit with the same like you but other producer VIJA Engine they made it with the Suzuki motorcycle engine 1200 cc flat twin.
    Seem to be good and 4000 € less than a 912S and no icing no mixture problem simple cooling system. and 9 liter/hour

GDN ,..there is a guy in Burlington VT that is planning on doing the same with the suzuki,.he knows another guy that has one on his trike and loves it ,..from what I unerstand they have 2 types of PSRU's ..one similar to the 912's and a belt drive set up,..he is on the forum,..if you look in the members list ,..I believe he is the only member from Burlington VT ,..he might know some others that have the same set up

Chase

I'm happy for this thread to take a auto/motorcycle engine conversion turn, but I want to make it clear that the UL Power engines were designed from the ground up as aircraft engines. That said, they are not cheap (although the UL260i is a little cheaper than the 912S at the moment) and more importantly to me they would undoubtedly take some "tinkering" with the installation and prop to get it right (and I don't want to spend my time or money doing that). That's why I'll probably go with the 912S in my SS7, although I don't share the enthusiasm many of you seem to have for that engine (I hasten to repeat that I have 200 hours flying behind a 912S). I encourage all of you to take a look at the UL Power website (I'm still hoping someone will put one on a Kitfox so I wouldn't be the first).

Congrat's on your purchase Bajacat,..I know your going to love your kitfox once it's done and you enjoy the fruits of your labor
    as for engine choice ,..as other's have mentioned you have time to look around a bit ..and sometimes you can get a good deal on a 912,.
    didn't mean to change the topic of motor choice to auto/motorcycle conversions talking about the suzuki,.but I am also looking elsewhere besides the rotax line,..and my choice ,..which I know some will dispute,..is the 2009 Ford 2.0 EFI DOHC in line 4 cylinder which pumps 140 HP out of 211 lbs of engine,..definately ,.in my opinion too heavy for a model 4 ,..but a model 7 ..I think it would work,..not pushing it on anyone to do the same in engine choice,.. the kitfox aircraft being experimental itself,..many GA pilot's would say the same about choosing an experimental over a GA plane,..versus engine choice on an experimental,..stick with what works,..if all pilots had done this ,..experimental aircraft would not exist in the civilian populace but rather would be a military nomenclature alone.
    It's part of what makes experimental aircraft so appealing to many ,.the choices that are allowed in construction and power configurations.
    When rotax first entered the experimental AC line of options for engine choice ..I'm sure many said the same thing about them ,..stick with what works ,..don't spend your money on a new concept,..
    A funny analogy,..the roads were just repaved locally here ,,there was ton's of aggrigate left over from doing this ..it was free to the public,..no one wanted it
    ,..so an engineer on the project said ,..put a price tag on it~! ,..$50.00 a load,..it went so fast that now ,..it cost's $350.00 a load for the same product and people are paying it,.. no one wanted when it was free.

Chase

I just finished helping a Highlander builder with a UL engine fabricate an oil cooler mount. Why am I mentioning this? Because when you are a pioneer, you really are one. If you have the facilities and time, you will need them both. I don't think there is anyone yet really servicing these conversions. And the one off auto conversions? Air cooled vs. water cooled? I am absolutely convinced that I can install a factory water cooling system before a builder can assemble the parts for an air cooled system. I installed one on a Lancair IV and the factory supplied all the parts. I bet I installed a hundred nut plates so an annual could be done by one person without help.

I realize that there are builders that are really tinkerers in disquise. I am one of those, so I respect the whole idea, but there is genuine experience out there and lots of interesting things for sale because of dissappointing results. I have friends in this predicament.

Not to get off topic ..but...

I don't have half or even one quarter of the equipment I use to have when I had my welding & fabrication business's,..had to sell everything due to injuries I got while in the military,.but slowly obtaining a few tools of the trade

The only limits we have ,..are the one's we put on ourselves,..or others put upon us,.. if you let them.

Chase
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 05-20-2010 at 10:51 PM.