Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Exhaust gas smell in cabin

Default Exhaust gas smell in cabin

Is anybody have exhaust gaz smell in cabin. I check exaust pipe connection seems OK, i've got a 180° model from Rotax for the 582.
    The tube going out of the engine cover is very long. Could the gaz going up in the cabin in flight ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Exhaust gas smell in cabin

GDN

With my 582 in my Mk IV I always have a slight smell of exhaust all the time. As long as you don't see a Carbon Monoxide detector giving you positive readings you'll be fine.

Just make sure that the 90 degree bend section isn't leaking as this is high enough in the system to pass it back through to you in the cockpit.

P.S Get some Grove gear on there!!!!!
    Last edited by Monocock; 04-01-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Make sure your firewall is sealed up good, check around the starter area and anywhere a hose or wires go through into engine compartment.2 strokes will leak around the spring connections so you need to have firewall sealed up good. You obviously dont want exhaust in your cabin area as we all know what can happen there.Good Luck Randy

you might have to seal up the cabin area more,..like a pick up with the slider window open and a front window slightly open( which creates a vacuum) and modified short exhaust,.the fumes come in the slider back window.. if there is a opening in the cabin to create a vacuum ,.it can suck the fumes right in thru all the small areas not tightly sealed,..other option is to take the doors off

are you sure it's exhaust smell

Yes i'll seal all little holes and see...

i found a piping compound i'm not sure of english term it's called Firegum from Holtz. It can make a good tighness of the exhaust system no ?

End of the problem of exhaust gaz in cabin, 2 thinks i put some silicon on each small holes in firewall and a new joint for the upper part. And most of all the main problem was the exaust collector ( the first exaust in Y ), i read twice the technical instructions from Rotax and saw that the torque couple was upper than i did. So now no smell in cabin and a big smile on the pilot face

are you sure that is not a "Kitfox Grin" ?