Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: RV-10 accident , fuel leak in the cabin.

Default RV-10 accident , fuel leak in the cabin.

RV-10 accident.

An RV 10 taxing after landing exploded and blew both doors off when a fuel leak inside the cabin ignited. The explosion possibly happened when the pilot went to raise the flaps. Both him and his daughter got out with some burns. Should make a full recovery thank goodness. The plane was a total lost.
    TSwezy is the RV-10 pilots user name on the site. Have to scroll down some to see his first post after release from the Atlanta burn center.
    Build em carefully guys.
    35ckbck.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: RV-10 accident , fuel leak in the cabin.

I'll keep this short, first off this plane had a v8 engine with an injection system that required 60psi pressures with a high volume pump in at each tank. That put all plumming in the fuse at high volume, any leak and trouble. It appears that he had a funny smell after landing and he operated the flaps and boom, blew out the doors and the rest is history. The fox is pretty drafty, thank goodness and we don't have that much fuel pressure, mainly gravity feed in the cabin. I've had a drip once in awhile in my lines and didn't cause a problem at all. Main thing is always be checking your fuel system for leaks and take note of any smells before you start and after shut down. As always, fuel is volital and should be taken seriously, when fueling and under normal conditions. Keep a constant nose and eye on the system.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop