Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tail springs

Default Tail springs

I saw a video on you tube that make me think...
    A man do a ground loop due to a tail spring failure.

One question, my problem his different for example if i make a 180° turn on the runway to align my KF to take off sometimes my tailwheel unlock and i lose my rudder control.

I've got i think the original Matco wheel and i heard the are good but need lots of overhaul. Is it difficult to set, perhaps my springs to strong ?

Thanks

Default Re: Tail springs

Hi GDN ,..usually after you turn around 180 degree's you roll ahead just enough for the tail wheel to lock again ..using your brakes to keep the plane straight until it does lock..with low prop wash on the rudder ..you won't have much rudder control until you power up and get moving.

Chase

i tried what you explain but the plane keep turning.

you might have to change the linkage a little on your springs from the rudder to the tail wheel,..the shouldn't be much slack with no weight on the plane,..and if you push down on the tail ..the springs should both work in unison with each other ..both getting tight at the same time and not bind.

Chase

if that doesn't work ..it might be the centering/locking mechanism on the tail wheel ..you might have to take it apart and clean it then re pack it, or the centering /locking mechanism could be worn to the point it's not letting the wheel return to center. sometimes you can eliminate the lock for center..but you end up using the brakes allot to stay straight on taxi

chase
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 05-10-2010 at 01:24 PM.

pick up the tail and see if the tail wheel moves inside of the pivot housing left or right fore or back,..up or down,..it should be snug inside the housing ..if it moves ..something is loose ..time for overhall

Chase