Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model IV Fuse differences

Default Model IV Fuse differences

I recall seeing somewhere (that of course I can't find now) that around and before 1994 the model IV fuselages were somehow specific to the engine selected. As in, you had to let Skystar know what engine you planned on using when they jigged up the fuse. Does anyone remember what was specific to this?

I have an early 94 fuse that was bought with a 912 FWF package and has the instrument panel braces welded to the cross tubes for the "large" panel. Was the location of these the only difference?

Default Re: Model IV Fuse differences

I've got a 1991 KF III (built with a 582) and a 2003 KF IV fuse. There are a few differences up front but the motor mount I got for the HKS fits both just the same. The mounting holes and locations for the engine controls seem to be identical.

FWIW,

Mark Napier

could the difference be the location of the starters for different motors,..which would require prior knowledge of choice of engine for the right firewall configuration,..just a thought.

Chase

Geowitz,I have a Classic IV Kit that came out of the factory in August 1994. The first page in my builder's manual is a letter from skystar dated May 1, 1994 detailing the differences between the Model IV and the Classic IV.

I'll scan and attach it here. I hope this works. Me scanning is not pretty.

The one thing i would do if you don't have it already is get the rudder gap seal.

Did the letter show up good enough to read?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Good post TJ,. sort of figured it would be motor mount related,( or as mentioned Starter location related)..since the airframe itself ..from the front door posts back that is,.was designed to except any motor config,.meaning no staggered tail etc .

Chase

Although the letter does not specifically say so I have come to the conclusion that the firewall is was standardized. I ordered my kit with a 503. The firewall parts included two extra shrouds that I did not need...one labeled 582 and one 912.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

The differences were throttle linkage related and that was about it. When I ordered - early 1993, I was unsure of the engine I wanted to install. At the time, the factory was supporting the Rotax 582 and 912 UL and the NSI EA-81. I wanted Rotax and had the factory weld in the linkages for both rotax engines. The 582 had a tripple cable stop assembly on the end of a short piece of tubing welded behind the insrument panel. The 912 had a bell crank assembly welded to the cross tube again behind the panel. The firewall differed as well, but that was builder fabricated. The foreward fuselage was identical.

The 1050 and 1200 differed in the height of the rudder and vertical stab, the thickness of the carry through at the lift strut attachment and the lift struts themselves, but these were not engine related.

Lowell

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful.

Sounds like none of the mentioned issues will be a problem if I decide to go with a different engine.

George

george , i have a early model IV ,sn 15xx , and inst panel layout of instruments can be a little challenging due to the fuselage bracing in front of the panel . i made a lexan panel first so i could get the instruments to fit correctly , since some are longer than others. im talking about airspeed , alt , turn and bank , rate of climb and radios , glovebox and the like .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa