Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tailwheel options

Default Tailwheel options

I have a Mk 4 with a solid rubber Maule tailwheel. The tailwheel is in need of a fair bit of work and I was wondering what my other options are.

My experience of the solid Maule is that it doesn't take a lot of general wear before it needs some attention and I was wondering if anyone out there was using a pneumatic tailwheel set-up on their models 1 to 4? The pneumatic Maule looks to be a good option.

Any comments gratefully received.

Default Re: Tailwheel options

I have had good luck with the Matco tail wheel setup and it is pretty cheap compared to the Maule. Or you can order the home builders tailwheel from Aircraft Spruce to go on your existing tail wheel bracket.

Hi my plane originally came with a solid rubber Matco which I did not like because every 75 / 85 hrs it had to be removed cleaned lubed and adjusted or it won't release, I switched to a Lang 501 solid rubber wheel and its been on the plane for over 425 hrs now and the only I've done is grease it at the annual inspection works perfectly, have used them on Tcrafts and Champs and they worked great on those planes
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo..._tailwheel.php

Here's a link I see they have increased the price out outlandishly the past year or so, but they come for sale at much less than that on e bay and Barnstormers.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I have the maule pneumatic tundra tailwheel on my Series 5 and have had no issues in over 500 hours on the aircraft . I clean and grease it at every annual and forget about it till next time. Bruce Lina N199CL

In my first Model IV, I went from the factory supplied Maul to the double fork Home Builders Special out of ACS. For me it was like night and day. I was happy enough with it that this time I plan on using it again, but will use the 6" single fork to save a bit of weight. One thing, though, the shipped bearings are not high quality as they are not sealed and the grease fitting is cosmetic at best. I plan on ordering the wheel and the optional sealed bearings and switch them out from the get-go. The tires are solid but are of the special rubber found on rollerblades so run very smooth.

For what it's worth, I have a factory new, 18 year old Maule that anyone can have for a kind word, a couple of bucks for packaging and shipping. Otherwise it will forever remain a paperweight.

Thanks for the advice gents...

Is that part number 06-01362 on this webpage ? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/matco_tw.php

Will give it some thought. I remember going through this whole process 5 years ago with a Luscombe and ended up defaulting to the solid Maule again. I would like to try a different set-up though so will give ACS a call and get my credit card out.
    Last edited by DesertFox4; 08-07-2014 at 07:00 AM.