Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: butt rib - need photos

Default butt rib - need photos

I have searched and read the threads on butt ribs. I didn't find photos of what attaches to them so I can figure out how much to trim for folding. I accidentally broke the top strip on one at the rear and am wondering if I can splice it back together, doubling the thickness to prevent future issues.

Anyone have photos of that area?

Default Re: butt rib - need photos

I have some photos here!

I'm not sure they show you what you want to see but, I offer them anyway.

Hi Tim,

this link has a few from my build thread too.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...t=5029&page=38

Bummer about braking the cap strip! I am not engineer, so I would take the no-guess approach and order another from the factory! However, there are others here with both a lot of experience and engineering qualifications who will probably venture an opinion for a fix. May I suggest you post a pic of the damage - you will get more responses that way.

I will take a pic this morning that shows the amount of trim I used and post it later if others haven't in the mean time.

There are also some discussions about the relative merits of reversing the butt ribs to allow more room for drilling the top cap strip for the windscreen. It would be worth thinking about this too if you haven't yet done so.

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I'm not seeing exactly what I am looking. It looks like you cut the tails off the rib forward of the rear wing bolt. I broke the rib past that location so I may be ok.

Thanks guys...

Hi Again Tim. Are a few photos I took today - hope that help. You do have page 30 of of the Wing assembly section in the manual I assume? I looked there and the instructions are pretty good. Sounds like you may be lucky with where you broke the rib - yes, you cat it off back there as seen in the photos below.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

perfect, thanks

the manual isn't that great on positioning the rib but I did find tips while hunting around the forum.