Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder cable exit

Default Rudder cable exit

Help! I purchased a 1991 kitfox IV 1050 that was never finished. The builder did a fairly good job of everything. He had most of the fabric work completed.
    The fabric on the fuselage was installed and finishing tapes appear to be installed where the rudder cables would exit the fuselage. I am unable to locate any measurements for the exact location He did include an access cover in the bottom of the fuselage close to where the cables need to exit. Can somebody help me out with the measurements.

Default Re: Rudder cable exit

Mine is a classic 4 kit from 1994. If it helps any, in the manual the instructions to make and record those measurements are at the beginning of the fuselage section of the fabric section. It says to record the measurements on page FAB-B-36, Finish tapes, fuselage sides, step 49, tape 18.

If the original builder did like I did the cable exit will be a slit about 3 inches long right down the center of the finish tape, 1-7/8th inches up from the bottom of the longeron. on mine the center of the slit is 44-1/2 inches from the rudder stop on the right side and 47 inches on the left side.

If you can locate the last cable guide bushing and transfer height of that point to the outside, stretch a string from there to the rudder stop and it will be the height needed. You then can make a small slit near the center of the finish tape and then hook up the cables to the rudder horn and lengthen the slit as needed.

If that fails, it is easy to fix the fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks Tom, That should get me in the ballpark.

If you get a pair of small, strong magnets you can tether them on strings on either side of the fabric and zero in on where the slot belongs. It takes a little finesse, but it does work.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med