Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bleeding Matco brakes

Default Re: bleeding Matco brakes

Ebay to the rescue, search "One Man Pressure Brake Clutch Bleeder"

I've seen a lot of people just use a pump oil can with a hose jammed on the
    end. Fill from the bleeder up.

Jeff Hays

I used a bicycle air-pump with a piece of hose. Put the hose onto the nipple, poor some brake oil into the pump, and just push it in.
    Make shire you have somebody yell at you when the oil meets the max, and keep some towels ready, but it works...

Thanks for the link. The oil can trick worked fine. The problem is when you empty and overhaul the whole system, you can get a lot of fluid on the floor while bleeding all the air out of the system. I am working on a tool to drain the excess fluid into a catch can to stop the mess.
    Jay

I bled the right brake today. I did manufacture a threaded fitting for the brake at the bottom fitting for the grove gear. I attachesd tygon tubing to the fitting I made with a 10/24 threaded insert. I used the syringe trick talked about in the thread and had great success with the clean filling of the brake fluid. but, the right brake still seems a little spongy. Can anyone tell me a step by step for dummies way to bleed the brakes on a matco brake system in the Mod IV? Im a dunce but Im teachable.

wonder if you could use the master cylinder bleeding trick from cars, which is
    route from the outlet (bleeder) a small tube right back into the reservoir,
    and just keep pumping until all the air is out of the system? Granted you'd
    need several feet of small diameter tubing but it would probably work.

Regards,
    Jeff

if you are using the red fluid, kind of like trany fluid, than it's thicker than regular brake fluid. so getting the air out is a little more difficult. I found on my rv that there was air that just wouldn't come out. so I made sure the reservoir was all the way to the top and just open the most bottom fitting or the bleed screw, what ever works and let it gravity out . if you have the clear line you can see the air very easily, if you have the braided line, not so. if you can see the air, you can crack open a fitting just below the air, worked for me. it also helps to take something small and tap on the lines to help the air move. hope this helps

I tried the cheapo oil can pump and just ended up injecting more air into the system. Then I used a clear plastic squeeze bottle like those made for ketchup and mustard. Worked great, but I found I had to jack up each side to really get the bubbles moving. Was able to accomplish without overflowing the remote reservoir.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks for the replies. I"ll get on it again today and try cracking a connection near the air and I"ll try the "re circulate" trick. I"ll let you know.
    Wheels

when I did the gravity trick and had air next to a connection I ended up taking that connection all the way off and the air came right out.

When I worked on larger aircraft with a remote reservoir, we used a large pressure pot hooked to one or both calipers. You would remove the oil from the reservoir with a turkey baster to keep it from overflowing. I think the volume and pressure we used pushed the air out with ease. I do remember a few brakes that gave me issues though.

I received my master cylinder kits from Matco today. Gotta love the price!